[JPL] Ed Bradley praises jazz89-KUVO

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Wed Jul 6 17:09:31 EDT 2005

Good to see Jazz Week getting pub in print.......A G

>From Wednesday July 6th edition of Rocky Mountain News
TV-radio columnist Dusty Saunders

Public acclaim: KUVO-FM (89.3), Denver's "jazz oasis," has been named
major-market jazz station of the year by Jazz Week.

While I'm not acquainted with all the jazz outlets around the country, the
public radio outlet deserves all the accolades it can get. KUVO's music mix
is outstanding - something for every jazz taste, including Latin jazz, as
well as some blues.

KUVO competed against notable jazz outlets in New York, San Francisco,
Detroit and Boston markets.

And KUVO's fan based isn't necessarily only local. CBS News' Ed Bradley, a
notable jazz devotee, praised the station's quality while in Denver 2 1/2
years ago to accept the Denver Press Club's Damon Runyon Award.

>From July 4th edition of Denver Post
TV-radio columnist Dick Kreck

Up with a bop as KUVO marches to morning beat
By Dick Kreck
Denver Post Columnist

Most people don't relate 6 a.m. and jazz.

Ed Danielson isn't most people. Host of "Morning Beat" on KUVO 89.3-FM for
four years, Danielson is up at 4 a.m., eager to play the music he's loved
since he was a 10-year-old.

Danielson's 6-9 a.m., laidback wake-up call tilts toward bop, but, he says,
"I like everything from Jelly Roll Morton to John Coltrane. There's more
bop-oriented music because that's what the station tries to do."

KUVO is a miracle among local stations, catering to a small but avid
audience of jazz lovers for 20 years. Last month, it was named major-market
jazz station of the year by Jazz Week.

"Our audience is very diverse," said Danielson, whose "real job" is as a
network administrator. "It's all over the spectrum in terms of age and
ethnicity. It's a personality that's drawn to jazz."

Danielson, 57, is one of those lucky people whose job overlaps his passion.
"They're paying me to get up in the morning. I'd work for free."