[JPL] Fwd: WRCT CMJ Top 10 + more

Tom Mallison tomthejazzman at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 7 10:31:08 EDT 2005

Thanks for the spins.  Hope all is well.  Tom

Dog Communications, Inc.
> [...]
> > Emanem
> > Benny Lackner -- Not the Same -- Nagel-Heyer
> > Kneebody -- S/T -- Greenleaf Music
> > Hot 8 Brass Band -- Rock with the Hot 8 -- The Red Hot Organization
> > Anat Cohen -- Place & Time -- Anzic Records
> > Kenny Wheeler/John Taylor -- Where Do We Go From Here? -- CamJazz
> > Assif Tsahar and The New York Underground Orchestra -- Fragments --
> > Hopscotch Records
> > Dr, Lonnie Smith -- Too Damn Hot! -- Palmetto Records
> > John Scofield -- That's What I Say -- Verve Music Group
> > Joshua Redman Elastic Band -- Momentum -- Nonesuch Records
> > Rebirth Brass Band -- We Come to Party -- Shanachie Records
> > Pete Zimmer -- Common Man -- Tippin' Records
> > Babatunde Lea -- Suite Unseen -- Motema Music
> > Keely Smith -- Vegas '58 - Today -- Concord Records
> > Fred Hersch -- Leaves of Grass -- Palmetto Records
> > Paul Grabowsky -- Tales of Time and Space -- Sanctuary Records
> > Tom Christensen -- New York School -- Playesque Recordings
> > Amina Figarova -- Come Escape With Me -- Munich
> > Roni Ben-Hur -- Signature -- Reservoir
> >
> > The rest are still in the bin of new music but did not get spun in the
> > past week:
> >
> > Frank Wright -- Uhuru Na Umoja -- Free America Records
> > Harry Watters Quartet -- Out Of A Dream - Love Songs -- Summit Records
> > Various Artists -- Hot Club de France -- Milan Music
> > Thoth Trio -- Apropos of Nothing -- DHP Records
> > Mark Sherman -- The Motive Series -- Consolidated Artists Productions
> > Shapes -- The Big Picture -- Burnin' Down the House Records
> > Salsamba -- The Traveler -- Clave Records
> > Joe Lovano -- Joyous Encounter -- Blue Note Records
> > Charles Lloyd -- Jumping the Creek -- ECM Records
> > Hot Club De France -- Hot Club de France -- Milan Records
> > Vincent Herring -- Mr. Wizard -- High Note
> > The East New York Ensemble Of Music -- At The Helm -- Ikef Records
> > Cooper-Moore & Assif Tsahar -- Tells Untold -- Hopscotch Records
> > Terence Blanchard -- Flow -- Blue Note Records
> > Jeff Berlin -- Lumpy Jazz -- M.A.J. Records
> > Baghdassarians/Baltschun/Bosetti/Doneda -- Strom -- Leo Records
> >
> > Adds for the coming weeks (stuff to keep hounding me about):
> >
> > Wayne Shorter, Mingus Big Band, Luciana Souza
> > Afro-Latin Jazz Orch. Anthony Braxton/Matt Bauder
> > Mantra, Dana Landry, Groundtruther feat. DJ Logic
> > Mulgrew Miller,  Miguel Zenon, Brooklyn Sax Quartet
> > Ron Blake, Ted Nash & Odeon, Arturo Sandoval
> > Common Ground, David Binney, Kahil El Zabar's Ritual Trio
> > Graham Collier, Enrico Pieranunzi, Guillermo Klein,
> > Dave Burrell, Keith Jarrett, Russ Johnson, Frank & Joe Show,
> > O'Leary/Maneri/Shipp, SavoirFair, Jim Baker, Dick Titterington,
> > John Surman, Radio Massacre International, Contemporary Jazz
> > Quintet, John Hollenbeck's Large Ensemble, Philip Catherine et. al.,
> > Yves Francois, Billy Butterfield et. al., Brave Old World,
> > Nick Bisesi, Ben Wolfe, Ahmed Abdullah, and others

> This week's sponsor is: JazzWeek Magazine
> Back from the JazzWeek Summit last week in Syracuse, we bring you the
low down on what went on from the viewpoint of several attendees as
assembled by Music Editor Tad Hendrickson, who adds his own  observations
as a first-time attendee. The JazzWeek Awards were  presented for the third
year, and we've got details on the winners.  Let's not forget that besides
the Summit, with its panel sessions and  a wonderful showcase event made
possible by Mack Avenue Records,  there was also a huge outdoor festival
going on, the Syracuse Jazz  Fest, which drew 55,000 people in three days.
We've got reviews of  new CDs by Flora Purim, Beaux J Poo Boo, James Carter
Organ Trio, and  Bud Shank and Phil Woods, plus other news.