[JPL] Canadian festivals

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 20:51:35 EDT 2005

Jim Wilkie wrote:
>It got me wondering how to explain the success of Canadian jazz festivals
>with their adventurous programming?  I haven't seen the figures yet for
>Toronto and Montreal, but they seem to get bigger every year, too.   Is it
>the CBC?  Both CBC radio and tv do a great job of covering living Canadian
>artists and do lots of live broadcasts of jazz and other music year 'round.
>  There are daily jazz shows on the CBC radio network.

Jim,

I just got back from covering both the Toronto and Montreal festivals for a
Japanese magazine. I can't imagine that the CBC has much to do with the
success of either festival. As far as radio goes, in Toronto it's a station
called FM 91 (run by Ross Porter) which acts as a marketing partner for the
festival. Every day I was there they were doing interviews with festival
artists, frequent run-downs of the festival schedule, and live reports from
the side of the downtown tent stage. If you look at FM 91's playlist it's
strictly mainstream jazz. Although David Murray and Roy Hargrove's RH Factor
played the festival, I don't think you're likely to hear their music
on-the-air there. Maybe one of the college stations, though. I did see a
woman from CBC introduce Roy Hargrove but it was a little embarrassing the
way she was fawning over them. Montreal on the other hand is a festival
that's run on a much larger scale. There's simply more of everything; in
terms of resources, artists represented, audiences who show up, and high
production values at each show. They also get a much larger amount of money
from the government than the Toronto or other festivals, which are forced to
shill for TD Canada Trust. The Montreal Festival also has their own radio
station, and there's an interesting low-key college station at McGill
University that our friend Len Dobbin broadcasts from. The two cities are
very different, and I would imagine that Vancouver is different still. You
might want to look at the festival's artistic directors to see how their
tastes and business acumen are reflected: Patrick Taylor and Jim Galloway in
Toronto, and Alain Simnard and Andre Menard (and a large crew of
programmers) in Montreal. The fact that Montreal can shut down city streets
for their festival, while Toronto has to erect a tent in Nathan Phillips
Square says something about the political pull each festival has on their
community. I wouldn't look only at the effect of each city's radios stations
to explain their successes or failures, but the big picture. It's political
as well as cultural. I hope one day to visit Vancouver to see for myself
what they do. I like the adventurous side of their programming, and I assume
Ken Pickering has something to do with that. And don't forget that Canada
has two of the most interesting avant/improvised music festivals in the
northern hemisphere, in Guelph and in Victoriaville. If anyone has other
insights about the Canadian festivals, I hope you'll share them.

Larry Appelbaum
WPFW-FM