[JPL] Cleveland's loss is Boston's gain.........

Jackson, Bobby bjackson at WCPN.org
Thu Jul 14 16:43:17 EDT 2005

FYI,

Bobby Jackson
WCPN-FM

News for Immediate Release
Contact: Berklee College of Music
Margot Edwards, 617-747-2004

BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC NAMES DR. LAWRENCE SIMPSON
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
* Experienced college leader, executive producer of Tri-C Jazz Festival
*

Boston and Cleveland, July 13, 2005 - Berklee College of Music President
Roger H. Brown today announced the appointment of Dr. Lawrence J.
Simpson to the newly created position of Senior Vice President for
Academic Affairs at the pioneering music college. At Berklee, Simpson
will lead and oversee the academic initiatives of the college, including
curriculum, faculty, and all areas directly related to teaching and
learning. He joins the college on August 22.

Simpson comes to Berklee from Cleveland, Ohio, where he has been
president and chief academic officer of Cuyahoga Community College's
Metropolitan Campus for the past year, and headed the Eastern Campus for
the past eleven years. At Tri-C, and of particular interest to Berklee,
he has been responsible for the growth and excellence of the college's
arts and cultural programs, including the nationally recognized Tri-C
Jazz Festival-Cleveland, and the college's recording arts and
technology, and community music programs.

"Dr. Simpson is an experienced academic leader, a cultural activist, and
a builder of community, who has also helped to create one of the great
American jazz festivals," said Berklee President Brown. "Berklee has
known Tri-C for many years through our articulation agreement with them,
their excellent Jazz Studies Program, and the jazz festival," Brown
continued. "So we know the commitment to quality Larry engenders in an
institution. He brings a great enthusiasm for Berklee and our mission to
this position, and we are thrilled to have him here."

"Being at Berklee will allow me to combine my twin passions: higher
education and music," said Dr. Simpson. "I'm thrilled, and feel quite
privileged to have this opportunity."

Dr. Lawrence Simpson has been president of the Metropolitan (since 2004)
and Eastern (previous eleven years) campuses of Cuyahoga Community
College over the past twelve years. Tri-C's Metropolitan Campus serves a
remarkably diverse, urban student population of 9,000, incorporating
traditional and adult learners, advanced placement high school students,
recent immigrants, and students of many nationalities and ethnicities.
The college employs 450 full- and part-time faculty.

Under Simpson's leadership, the campus has built new facilities, and
created programs in engineering, natural science, health careers,
physical education and athletics, in addition to its noted
concentrations in the arts. He has developed and coordinated the
campus's long-range strategic planning process, worked closely with the
faculty collective bargaining unit, and led accreditation initiatives
for departments and programs.

He manages the college's partnerships with the Rock and Roll Hall of
Fame and Museum, Cleveland Museum of Art, and the Playhouse Square
Foundation, and serves on the boards of the Association of Performing
Arts Presenters (chair), the Community Partnership for Arts and Culture
(chair), The Cleveland Orchestra, Young Audiences of Greater Cleveland,
the Cleveland Institute of Music, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and
the Downtown Cleveland Partnership.

Dr. Simpson has written and photographed for Down Beat, JazzTimes, and
the Jazz Education Journal, and since 1993 has served on a variety of
panels for the National Endowment for the Arts. He received his
undergraduate degree from Kent State University, and his Ph.D. from the
University of Pittsburgh, in social psychology.
Berklee College of Music was founded on the revolutionary principle that
the best way to prepare students for careers in music was through the
study and practice of contemporary music. For over half a century, the
college has evolved constantly to reflect the state of the art of music
and the music business. With over a dozen performance and nonperformance
majors, a diverse and talented student body representing over 70
countries, and a music industry "who's who" of alumni, Berklee is the
world's premier learning lab for the music of today -- and tomorrow.

# # # #

Berklee Office of Public Information
Margot Edwards
617-747-2004
medwards at berklee.edu

This week's sponsor is: JazzWeek Magazine
Subscribe to JazzWeek at http://www.jazzweek.com/ -- Single issues are
also available.

In the July 13 issue: Bassist Meshell Ndegeocello explains that jazz for
her is a "natural progression" in a Q&A with music editor
Tad Hendrickson. Blue Note gave JazzWeek Summit attendees a sneak listen
to a 1957 Carnegie Hall performance by the Thelonious Monk quartet, with
John Coltrane, which was thought lost and is now to be released; we've
got details. Also, podcasting has proven to be a boon for Pittsburgh
broadcaster David Jaye, who has seen a stunning amount of downloads of
his weekly show since he started podcasting just a few weeks ago. And
we've got reviews of new albums by Ilona Knopfler, Adam Rogers, and the
Dave Weckl Band.