[JPL] Diana Krall

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 10:59:13 EDT 2005

Here's something to consider, Bob:  how many "singers" do you know who
studied with Ray Brown and Jimmy Rowles?  RB told me he advised her
"Don't ever let them make you stand up!"  (and leave the piano bench, a
reference to Nat Cole.)  Last time I saw her she sang on almost every
number, but even when she laid out on piano for a chorus she stayed
seated.   She also played extended, hard swinging piano choruses in
many uptempo tunes and was clearly getting off on exchanges with
Anthony Wilson on guitar and Jeff Hamilton on drums.

I'm a bit troubled by references to her as a singer only, though I
certainly wouldn't dismiss her abilities in that area.   I tend to
think of her as a pianist who sings, and the same may be said of Dena
DeRose.   Dena's history is as a solidly grounded pianist first, who
added singing later.  But both are excellent singers and pianists, and
their abilities reenforce each other.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org