[JPL] Krall et al

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 12:18:39 EDT 2005

Although there are exceptions to be sure, I think a rock or blues fan
may more likely be turned on to jazz by hearing the raw energy of
something like a Mingus tune than something sweet like the g man.   At
least that's been my experience ... if this kind of person doesn't
think they like jazz they may have been exposed only to "smooth jazz"
and have never heard the lumpy variety.   It's almost a life-style
thing... different strokes.....   Jazz is so personal and inclusive a
concept (note!) it can relate to almost any other kind of music
depending on who's playing and who's listening.

I used to play a game of mentally picking various "jazz" records that
could play on each and every of the many radio formats in my market if
the records just weren't identified as "jazz".   I'm sure you could do
the same.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org