FW: [JPL] Ready For A New Topic

Bob Stewart BSTEWAR at kirkwood.edu
Thu Mar 3 17:17:43 EST 2005

I still haven't found room for the Grachan Moncur Octet cd "Exploration"
yet, but am ever hopeful that some room will open up soon!

>>> mjazzer at yahoo.com 03/03/05 03:25PM >>>
provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
For more information visit us at  http://jpl.yellowdog.com
To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
For more information visit us at http://jpl.yellowdog.com
To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

MS said:

What we do or not play on our programs and why we do or do not play
it.
This is a vital subject, and the music of The Bad Plus serves as good
an
example as any. I believe we may benefit from more, not less, dialogue
about this, notwithstanding that, as different people give their own
take, a good deal of repetition can hardly be avoided.

My reply:

I'm totally with Mark on this one. While I recognize that, on the
surface,
we "beat The Bad Plus topic to death", actually this discussion went
well
beyond just one band, and struck at the core of some basic programming
philosophies. I want to remind Lou and others (once more again!) that
this
List is a forum for jazz programmers to discuss their
concerns/difficulties/philosophies and share their thoughts. Although
listeners, musicians and fans of the music are most welcome on the
List, at
times these discussions may not be of interest to them, and perhaps a
musician may "not give a shit" (although many do in fact give a shit
if
their music gets played on the radio or not).

OK, Tony, I'll take up your lead. Here is a good disc that recently I
did
NOT program, in good part due to lack of space in my currents: Monk's
Music
Trio. Nicely played Monk standards, but no originals. If an artist is
going to do a standard, I'd like to hear some innovatively new take on
it -
otherwise I'll go back to Monk himself. Our programming is much more
geared
to playing new, original compositions - I want to hear (and support by
playing on the air) an artist's own music!...... (as well as some of
those
"new standards"....!).

Brad "A Provincial Idiot" Stone
KSJS-FM
San Jose
This week's sponsor is: Burnin' Down The House Records
As a follow up to their critically acclaimed debut 'The Last Farewell',
the Los Angeles collective, Shapes, returns with an ambitious two-cd set
entitled, 'The Big Picture', and once again, they've teamed up with
Yellowjackets bassist and two-time Grammy winner, Jimmy Haslip as
producer. Split along stylistic lines into two discs, the first disc is
an eclectic mix of groove-oriented material and the second, showcases
the band's more acoustic mainstream jazz sound. This shape-shifting
ensemble has managed to cover several bases while still retaining their
signature sound, forged in the unique chemistry of Tollak Ollestad's
chromatic and blues harmonica playing, recently featured on Al Jarreau's
current CD 'Accentuate The Positive' and Roger Burn's vibraphone,
marimba and piano work, recently featured on the Smash hit movie
'Sideways', alongside a band of stellar players and special guests
including Jimmy Haslip, fellow Yellowjackets Russell Ferrante and Robben
Ford along with valve
 trombonist Mike Fahn, Cannonball Adderley's drummer, Roy McCurdy,
vocalist Pauline Wilson (Seawind) accompanied by Matt Catingub on alto
and even a track featuring L.A. mainstays, the Jack Mack and The Heart
Attack Horns.

www.shapesmusic.com

Radio add date: February 21, 2005 - Street date: March 8, 2005

Radio promotion by New World 'n' Jazz

Contact: Neal Sapper 415 453-1558 / Matt Hughes 732 290-3830

Publicity: Michael Bloom Media Relations: musicpr at earthlink.net

Management, Booking and Marketing consulting by Steve Belkin / Open All
Nite Entertainment

info at openallnite.com , www.openallnite.com.

Peace &  Jazz

    Michael A. Valentine