[JPL] Song for My Father, 1st vocal version

Lenny Mazel lenmaz1 at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 7 09:24:37 EST 2005

The listener is undoubtedly thinking of "Senor Blues," which Bill recorded
with Horace in 1958.

Here are a couple of candidates for first vocal version, from the Tom Lord
discography:

[B3894-5] George Benson
Clark Terry (tp) Garnett Brown (tb) Arthur "Babe" Clarke, George Marge
(ts,fl) Paul Griffin (celeste) George Benson (g) Chuck Rainey (el-b) Leo
Morris (d) The Sweet Inspirations (vcl)
New York, November 1968
105820    I remember Wes    Verve V6-8771, Pol 1-6084, (G)2391242
105821    Carnival joys
105822    Song for my father
105823    You make me feel like a natural woman

[T2497-5] Leon Thomas
Spirits known and unknown:
James Spaulding (as,fl) Pharoah Sanders (ts) [as Little Rock (ts) ] Lonnie
Liston Smith (p) Richard Davis, Cecil McBee (b) Roy Haynes (d) Richard
"Pablo" Landrum (bgo) Leon Thomas (perc,vcl)
New York, October 21 & 22, 1969
    The creator has a master plan    Flying Dutchman FD10115, FD10164
    One
    Echoes
    Song for my father
    Damn nam [Ain't goin' to Viet Nam]