[JPL] Song for My Father, 1st vocal version

Michael Valentine mjazzer at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 18:18:56 EST 2005

   Maybe  he was thinking of Andy Bey/ Henderson & bey kinda of have the same vocal style

dcrane at comcast.net wrote:
provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
For more information visit us at http://jpl.yellowdog.com
To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

Arturo:

The listener is right on two counts: Bill Henderson did record a vocal with Horace Silver and it was released as a 45rpm single. The tune was Senor Blues, not Song for My Father. The vocal is included in the RVG reissue of "Six Pieces of Silver".

Doug Crane
Volunteer DJ
KUVO Denver 89.3 FM

> A listener called in asking us to play what he referred to as the first
> vocal version of Horace Silver's "Song For My Father". He informed us that
> at the same time the Ble Note Lp was released, the one with Horace's dad on
> the cover, Blue Note records issued a 45rpm single vocal version of the song
> with Bill Henderson singing. I did a AMG search and came up empty. Does
> anyone know if the listener's account is accurate? I could not find any
> reference to a Bill Henderson vocal version of Song for my Father.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Arturo Gómez
> Jazz 89 KUVO, Denver
> Celebrating 20 years of Public Radio
This week's sponsor is: Burnin' Down The House Records
As a follow up to their critically acclaimed debut 'The Last Farewell', the Los Angeles collective, Shapes, returns with an ambitious two-cd set entitled, 'The Big Picture', and once again, they've teamed up with Yellowjackets bassist and two-time Grammy winner, Jimmy Haslip as producer. Split along stylistic lines into two discs, the first disc is an eclectic mix of groove-oriented material and the second, showcases the band's more acoustic mainstream jazz sound. This shape-shifting ensemble has managed to cover several bases while still retaining their signature sound, forged in the unique chemistry of Tollak Ollestad's chromatic and blues harmonica playing, recently featured on Al Jarreau's current CD 'Accentuate The Positive' and Roger Burn's vibraphone, marimba and piano work, recently featured on the Smash hit movie 'Sideways', alongside a band of stellar players and special guests including Jimmy Haslip, fellow Yellowjackets Russell Ferrante and Robben Ford along with valve
 trombonist Mike Fahn, Cannonball Adderley's drummer, Roy McCurdy, vocalist Pauline Wilson (Seawind) accompanied by Matt Catingub on alto and even a track featuring L.A. mainstays, the Jack Mack and The Heart Attack Horns.

www.shapesmusic.com

Radio add date: February 21, 2005 - Street date: March 8, 2005

Radio promotion by New World 'n' Jazz

Contact: Neal Sapper 415 453-1558 / Matt Hughes 732 290-3830

Publicity: Michael Bloom Media Relations: musicpr at earthlink.net

Management, Booking and Marketing consulting by Steve Belkin / Open All Nite Entertainment

info at openallnite.com , www.openallnite.com.

Peace &  Jazz

    Michael A. Valentine