[JPL] A Love Supreme

David Kunian kunian1 at cox.net
Thu Mar 10 11:56:36 EST 2005

Given that there has been a conversation going on about A Love Supreme
and there have been a couple new recordings of it, some programmers
might want to try to get a new perspective on it by doing what I did
last night on WWOZ's Jazz Lunatique (midnight to 3 AM Weds. night/Thurs.
AM).  I played the entire suite, but instead of doing it completely by
one band, I mixed and matched from several recordings.

Acknowledgement - David Murray Octet - Octet Plays Trane
Resolution - Elvin Jones Quintet live in Japan 1978 - Very Rare
Pursuance - Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra - A Love Supreme
Psalm - Branford Marsalis Quartet - A Love Supreme Suite live in Amsterdam

Listeners really liked it.  I got several calls around 1 AM.

If anyone else can think of other versions of the suite or the
individual components, it would be great  to have them posted here.

David Kunian