[JPL] Key Largo

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 16 00:06:55 EST 2005

Neal,

I believe the original is  "Sarah Vaughan + 2" on Roulette SR 53118
(with Barney Kessell & Joe Comfort) recorded in 1962.   This version
has been reissued several times on various labels including Capitol,
Blue Note and Verve.... but apparently it's all the same recording with
the duo from 1962.  The most recent reissue is in the Mosaic set  "The
Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions"  (disc IV).

Benny Carter wrote the song - but was it used in the 1948 film based on
the Maxwell Anderson play starring Humphrey Bogart, Lauren "if you need
anything, just whistle" Bacall, and Edward G.Robinson?

Anyone?

Great flick by the way, one of my favorites but I haven't seen it in
many years.  Max Steiner, Howard Dietz and Ralph Rainger are credited
for the film music.   Trivia:  Jay "Tonto" Silverheels plays Johnny
Osceola.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org