[JPL] Q for Manuel Jorge Veloso

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Thu Mar 17 12:20:04 EST 2005

Thanks for clearing up the confusion I had about the pronunciation of Bola
Sete. I have always known about the difference of Portuguese by region,
Portugal, Brasil, Cape Verde and other Portuguese speaking countries. This
is similar to other languages e.g., Spanish where it varies country to
country and closer to members of the JPL, English. We can communicate with
folks from the UK, Australia, Canada et al yet terms, words and of course
pronunciations vary country to country and even in region to region within a
nation.

Here's my jackpot question, why is it that Portuguese speakers have it easy
to understand and speak Spanish with proper pronunciations, yet Spanish
speakers have a devil of the time pronouncing Portuguese properly? Is it
because most Portuguese speaking countries are surrounded by Spanish
speaking neighbors? I know Portuguese is closer to archaic Spanish and the
regional Galician dialect of Spain is closer to Portuguese than Castilian
Spanish. Please share some of your obvious expertise with us.

Arturo Gómez