[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Mar 14

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 02:33:36 EST 2005

Still Another Jazz Show   Mar 14

Tom Marriott   “Domino City”   “Tout De Suite”
INDIVIDUATION
Origin Records

Belinda Underwood       “Trees”   UNDERWOOD
UNCURLING
Kosmik  Muse  Rekords

Amina Figarova      “Destiny”   COME  ESCAPE WITH ME
Munich Records

Trygve Seim     “Trio”     SANGAM       ECM

Grazyna Auguscik   “Chorado”   “Memoria  a Fado”
THE LIGHT   GMA Records

Alon Yavnai Tri    “Fugue no 7  in E b major”
PICTURE THIS ...Bon Rapport Music

Fred Hersch Ensemble “I Celebrate Myself?    LEAVES
OF  GRASS    Palmetto Records

Los Hombres Calientes     “James Booker”  “Rojo’s
Revenge”
Vol 5 CARNIVAL    Basin Street Records

Zack Brock and the Coffee Achievers     “Play A
Blanca”
CHEMISTRY        Secret Fort Records

Caribbean Jazz Project     “Picture Frame”     HERE
AND NOW –
LIVE IN CONCERT     Concord Picante

Steve Venz  “Waiting For Relief”   SCOOP   DAAL   JAZZ

Music Of  Thad  Jones     “ Consummation”    “The
Farewell”
ONE MORE         IPO Recordings

Carol Heffler       “Same Old Used To Be”     EXACTLY
Peeka  Records

Dale Fielder Quartet      “Muezzin”     BARITONE
SUNRIDE
Clarion Jazz

THOMAS MARRIOTT begins this edition of SAJS with his
new CD, INDIVIDUATION. Marriott’s a good straight
ahead trumpet and flugelhorn player.   We opened  with
a Joe Locke tune, “Domino City,” a great post bop
tune, featuring a sextet with alto player Rick Mandyck
sitting in  on the chorus line and offering up a nice
little solo.  David Budway also provides a nice Fender
accompaniment and Joe Locke on vibraphone.
This’d  make the fellas in short brim hats, three
piece Brooks Brothers with Stacy Adams shoes...smile.
 It’s very good slow buttered hard bop!
Then we followed up with a Miles Davis tune, “Tout De
Suite” right out of modal sixties.   Miles would smile
at this  rendition.   Tom Marriott provides his own
texture as his technique is flawless on this version,
an exceptional piece with Jeff Johnson, bass, John
Bishop, drums.  This modality is right from a Herbie
Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Tony Williams
context.    Thomas Marriott Quintet will take you
there.
BELINDA UNDERWOOD is next with her new CD, UNDERWOOD
-UNCURLING. As if she were in a fetal pose, no way!
Underwood’s loose, foremost and in command.  I have to
say  this. They miked her well.   No reverb, very
little over - presence, let the timber stand on it’s
own.   It gives her a more free expression.   She’s
also written some great songs here. Who also stands
out here is pianist, Clay Giberson, providing
foundation for this young talented singer.   We played
a marvelous original, “Trees.” (She has the Michael
Franks folksy/romantic attitude in her writing.)
There’s an ecological bent in the prose. What stands
out here is Clay Giberson and his ability to put the
idea of this song in proper perspective.
Pianist,  AMINA FIGAROVA and her group close out this
segment from her new CD, COME ESCAPE WITH ME.   This
lady has a firm grasp of the post hard bop concept.
This is all original material written and arranged by
Figarova.  We played a trio version of “Destiny.”  On
this selection, you hear and understand how Figarova’s
mind  works, with commitment and sophistication
-simple in it’s profundity, very figurative beautiful
music. She’s a taskmaster.
The next segment has a distinctive European flavor and
TRYGVE SEIM is one the most progressive saxophonist
in modern contemporary interpretive music.
There’s different spacing here than we’re used to in
progressive jazz and yet there are increments in
Seim’s music a kin to Gunther Schuller/ George Russell
modern Americana.   Although Seim’s roots are in a
much different place, you know the three would get
along famously!  And Maria Schneider’s vision would
apply here as well.
We played “Trio” with a lovely melody here with a
sonorous trombone and bass saxophone, no pushing the
freight train along here. Different nostalgia,  time
and space,  It’s more like  watching plants grow,
multifaceted natural reoccurring themes , set to many
musical facets.  Soft dancing lights, folks laughing
in a very personal conversation, an accordian at home,
as neighbors playing along on tuba, varying degrees of
 saxophone, trombone, trumpet harkening their
particular meditative unfolding  sound.
GRAZYNA  AUGUSCIK  is next with her new release THE
LIGHT,  next to Trygve Seim. What a flow to segue
“Until It’s Time For Your You To Go.”  Auguscik
continues to expand,  move forward.   “Don’t Explain,”
definitely has a Peter Gabrial texture. But we played
a tone poem, “Chorado” next to Seim  with guitarist
David  Onderdonk. Then Egberto Gismonti’s “ Memoria a
Fado.” with Onderdonk providing excellent acoustic
accompaniment.   Pianist ALON YAVNAI is next with
“Fugue no.7 in Eb Major” by J.S. Bach.  Yavnai is
Ireali/Argentinian . He has that Latin drama and flair
in his playing. Yavnai has an excellent rhythm section
here with Massimo Biolcati  on bass and Take Toriyama
on drums.  CD is entitled PICTURE THIS...   Muy
Excelenté.
FRED HERSCH  ENSEMBLE concludes this segment with two
selections from Walt Whitman’s LEAVES OF GRASS,  “I
Celebrate Myself” with vocalist  Kurt Elling. “The
Mystic Trumpeter” with vocalist Kate McGarry. A very
modern music rendition of the words of the  19th
Century poet. It’s quite an accomplishment for Fred
Hersch, his astounding music!   This’ ll  be performed
in concert for decades.
Trumpet player, Irvin Mayfield and percussionist Bill
Summers collaborate on  LOS  HOMBRES  CALIENTES for
VOL. 5: CARNIVAL in the second hour..    Mayfield and
Summers hail from New Orleans where many fine
musicians of jazz, rock, R&B, and Latin;  sometimes a
mixed gumbo. It’s all good. This CD will offer a
little of every thing with happiness and joy in this
predominantly Latin.  That’s the New Orleans stamp. A
loose funkiness..   They do some different things. We
played “James Booker.”  The piano solo on this is
priceless by Ronald Markham. He’s jamming everything
in there,  from  wry humor, stride, funk, boogie
woogie and a little J.P. Sousa. It’s definitely a
strut. Bill Summers provides a garnish. A beat
generated , like drum sticks tapping lightly on
porcelain.
Then we played “Rojo’s Revenge” with a soulful brass
open then a change to a Latin temper. Tune’s written
by pianist Victor Atkins . It’s subtle quick with very
nice times changes. And Victor caries the changes with
a predominance of percussion Bill Summers. This works
well when  the percussionist is right there calling
the changes and  Irvin Mayfield is always there with
an expressiveness and vitality.
Electric violinist  ZACH BROCK  AND  THE COFFEE
ACHIEVERS are next from their new CHEMISTRY  CD.  We
like “Cold Turkey,” reminding us of Velvet
Underground,  but it’s better to play “Play A Blanca”
here for it’s subtlety and sophistication. Just add a
soft fender sound with Sam Barsh and a melodic tonal
singer as Melissa Styliano with voicing on violin from
Brock. And one has a very melodic light airy quality.
Imagine the  Swingle Singers scatting to a slow
Baroque.  Dave Samuels,
 CARIBBEAN JAZZ PROJECT is next from the latest  HERE
AND NOW - LIVE IN CONCERT.  Check out   trumpet
player, Diego Urcola and pianist Dario Eskanazi..
With this live performance, we hear CJP at the top of
their game. Magnificently produced with all the
excitement and extemporaneous jopy, this  live
performance can explore...
 “These guys just play and play their collective off
on this 2 CD hookup.”  It’s a treat to listen to this
excitement.   We played Samuels “Picture Frame” to
close this segment with Dario Eskanazi setting the
tone with a very solo open, then Samuels coming in
then the rest follow as Diego plays a furtive muted
trumpet, that Miles would do.  I get  flash backs of
Milt Jackson on this piece. Therein is the perspective
of this marvelous tune and Dave Samuels knows the
right way, for he hears it too, like you.
That’s what brings tears to the eyes of venerable hard
boppers.
STEVE VENZ begins the last segment with “Waiting For
Relief “ from his new CD, SCOOP.    Venz is an
interesting bass player and his harmony with soprano
saxophonist with Doug Webb is quite good, along with
acoustic guitarist Steve Cotter and brushes of Jason
Harnell.    “Scoop” is more straight ahead-down home,
B -3 style with Joe Bagg on the Hammond runnng boards.
Venz project is full a nice little shadings, textures
and nuances with a group of fine  musicians to back up
the plan  There’s  von Essen synergy and
sophistication  here, with Venz  writing and playing,
 with delicacy and dexterity.
Back to my roots. Cold drawers Pontiac in the
wintertime.
You have to like this one.
ONE MORE    MUSIC OF THAD JONES with all the great
ones, starting with the older brother Hank Jones on
piano (what a gift,) Richard Davis, Bennie Golson,
James Moody,  Bob Brookmeyer,  Jimmie Owens, Mickey
Roker and Frank Wess. This’ll be one of the great
octets you’ll ever see for this tribute.
As you probably know, the  HANK,  THAD  and ELVIN is
one of the prominent modern jazz great families.  Thad
 Jones was a grreat trumpet/cornet player. He’s was
adept at orchestral composing and arranging. If you
still ‘re -bop’ as the fifties, and late night
sixties, you will absolutely dig this CD.   For
students, hip - hoppers of the music you have some
great tenor saxophone cross current examination with
James Moody, Bennie Golson and Frank Wess  as they
‘dilly - dally,’  back and forth.
You just know they’re  lovin it, blissful Thad  Jones
bop themes.
And for historians...this is History of Modern Jazz.
And they’ll be studying this piece for years.
At first glance we played “Consummation” and “The
Farewell.”because we remember from the later years.
Think of Hank Jones performing his brother’s music and
feel the empathy with this CD.
Most of all, listen to the long piano introduction by
Hank and then Jimmie Owens sitting in on trumpet and
you’ll hear the nostalgia.
Finally, Hank Jones plays solo an excellent tribute to
his brother. It’s called “Monk’s Theme.”
Just listen and you’ll hear Hank’s  remembrance to his
brother.
I haven’t  heard a more personal reflection.
CAROL  HEFFLER  is next with her new CD,   EXACTLY.
Carol Heffler is a pro.  She’s a jazz singer with a
song in her heart. Forgive the cliché, Heffler is a
very approximating  professional. She doesn’t expend
needless energy in frivolous context. Her phrasing and
 words are well measured. Her writing is well termed,
concise.  And her phrasing will remind one of a well
tempered,  June Christy.  We played one of Heffler’s
originals, “Same Old Used To Be,” a film noir slow
dance as if Elizabeth Montgomery stepped off the
screen, and whispered to Alan Ladd, “I’m Not You’re
Same Old Used To Be.”
DALE FIELDER QUARTET concludes this show with an
interesting  Pepper Adams tune, “Muezzin.’ on the new
BARITONE  SUNRISE. I define it as ‘musin’ in my mind.
It’s Detroit. when Pepper would play a baritone like a
tenor saxophone. And Dale Fielder, masterful of
multiple saxophones  picks up on it.  This is hard bop
at it’s after hours best!
See you on the flip side.

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW