[JPL] Update from Linda & WEMU

lyohn at emich.edu lyohn at emich.edu
Thu Mar 17 18:27:08 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

I've had quite a winter and hoping for some spring soon!  I just
thought I'd drop you a note to tell you about some projects that we
worked on and are hoping to do in April, "Jazz Appreciation Month".

In February and the first two days of March, WEMU aired a
daily "Jazzistry Moment".  These short biographical pieces on our
founding African-American forefathers and foremothers of jazz were
voiced by local Black Community Leaders such as City Council Members,
University professors, Athletic all-stars, musicians and more.  While
the voices were not "trained" like us radio types, they were recogized
by listeners who appreciated the community outreach and the authentic
nature of their delivery.

"Jazzistry" refers to a program and a professional jazz groups created
and led by saxophonist Vincent York which takes a message of diversity
and African-American culture through jazz to schools and community
centers throughout Michigan.  WEMU is supporting "Jazzistry" to grow a
new generation of jazz lovers.

We participated in a series of tributes to giants of jazz along with
Vincent and "Jazzistry" at the Ann Arbor jazz club, The Firefly Club.
WEMU hosts provided hand-outs about jazz history, talked about the
important musicians and MC'd these tributes.

I've been giving talks on jazz at the Ypsilanti Library, using the
resources (DVDs, CDs and books) at the library to encourage more people
to use the library and to advise the library on items they should
catalogue.  It has been a lot of fun.  I've discovere books I did not
know existed.  And--the library has some CDs that I hadn't heard, so it
has been wortwhile for me and the folks who come to the talks.  My
final talk we be in April, for "Jazz Appreciation Month".

In April, once we finish with our fundraiser, I hope to do some
interviews with jazz lovers and musicians in the Ann Arbor area
for "Jazz Appreciation Month".

As I worked with the community during the "Jazzistry Moments" project,
many of them recommended some other leaders.  I hope to get the
recommended leaders and jazz fans on the air during "Jazz Appreciation
Month".

What are your plans for April?

In jazz,

Linda