[JPL] This List

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Tue Mar 22 06:24:46 EST 2005

Steve Schwartz here playing the Devil's Advocate:

This is the description of what this List is supposed to be about, as
printed at the top of the page:

"After many years of attending radio and music conferences and seminars
the same thing happens. You get excited about new projects and ideas.
Suggestions and solutions all run rampant at these events. Within two
weeks you feel like someone has let the steam out of you. Why? Your
peers in the jazz radio and music industry are not around you to lend
that ear, give advice or to let you know they are having the same
struggles. We all promise to call each other. Sometimes we follow up and
sometimes we don't. Who has the time?
This is what the Jazz Programmers Mailing List is for"

When was the last time anybody here read that Statement? When was the last
time someone submitted a message about a programming idea (I know Linda's
message about the 'Jazzistry' project did recently) or problem?

Has this list outlived it's usefulness?
Should the Statement be changed to reflect what this List has become:
A place for us to post our playlists so others can see what we're airing. A
repository to post articles from other sources written about jazz related
topics. Outside of the recent Bad Plus "are they or aren't they" posts,
that's what this List has become.

I suspect this has all come about because WGBH is about to enter in to two
full days of Strategic Planning Meetings to talk about who we are and who we
want to be and how we plan to get there so the subject has been on my mind.

Your thoughts?

Steve Schwartz
Jazz from Studio Four
Friday , 7p-midnight