[JPL] Dale's RS&H Notes

Mike Plaskett plaskett at wduq.org
Mon Mar 21 12:56:57 EST 2005

Here are some recent RS&H notes (local papers please copy).  We are glad to
welcome the news and classical radio network Public Radio East to the RS&H
hookup.  The show is now also heard in the Saint Louis area.  Hooray for
music lovers!

#265  - Several 78 rpm obscurities on this rhythm Sweet & Hot.  First, the
popular "Dipsey Doodle", rendered not by Larry Clinton or Tommy Dorsey
(that would be too easy), but by the Jerry Blain Orchestra with a vocal by
Phyllis Kenney.  Don't miss, too,  a comedic version of "You're My
Everything" by mustachioed trombonist-personality Jerry Colonna.

#267  - Two versions of "Chicago" on this show.  The first is by Bob Scobey
and his San Francisco Jazz Band and the second is done live by Benny
Goodman.  Goodman rarely played "Chicago" even though his 1930s Henderson
arrangement is splendid, and he never recorded it for Victor.  But here is
a sizzling aircheck -- only on Rhythm Sweet & Hot!

#269  - Johnny Mercer was one of the great songwriters of the 20th century,
and one of his novelty numbers was "Cuckoo in the Clock".  Hear it first by
Glenn Miller and then by Vincent Lopez in this program.  The Lopez version
features a vocal by that wacky songstress Betty Hutton.

#270  - "As Time Goes By" is one of the immortal songs from motion
pictures.  Although popularized by the film "Casablanca" in 1942, the song
was written and performed many years before.  This program features a fine
performance by Rudy Vallee about ten years prior to the Bogart and Bergman
blockbuster.

Mike Plaskett
Membership Manager WDUQ 90.5 FM
Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA  15282
direct telephone  412-396-5921

Everybody you meet needs your love more than anything else you can give
them.  --  Halton D. Starr

". . . .Between us we might build up in America an audience fit to listen
to geniuses, and therefore ready to produce them."  -- Will Durant.