[JPL] Greetings from Savannah, GA!

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 19:23:14 EST 2005

> Greetings!
>
> I have been asked at the last minute to present a "history of Jazz"
> class to
> a Elder Hostile group.  I am trying to pull information from the web
> and was
> hoping someone could direct me to various sites that could help me
> build a
> foundation for the class.  Also any "MUST" include tunes that I should
> play
> for the group?  All help is appreciated.
>
> Larry
>
> Larry Dane-Kellogg
> WHCJ  90.3 FM
> Savannah, GA

Larry,  following is the syllabus I evolved for the jazz history class
I taught twice a week at Cornish College for many years.   Although I
don't have a list of the recordings I used, the names might serve as a
guide or at least some ideas for your class. We listened to a lot of
music representative of the various styles in each class. More time
could certainly be devoted to the present period but my music students
had more access to and familiarity with current music than with earlier
jazz styles.   Perhaps others on this list have similar lesson plans or
overviews available.

Mark Gridley developed some good texts and CDs for his "Concise Guide
to Jazz" (Prentice Hall).  I have also used Tanner & Gerow's "A Study
of Jazz" text  (Wm.C.Brown)

Good luck!

Jim Wilke

INTRO TO MUSICAL STYLES  - MU 109 - Part 2 - A History of Jazz
                            Instructor:   Jim Wilke

This is a brief seven-week survey of the History of Jazz, from its
earliest origins around the turn of the century to the latest
developments.  The primary emphasis is on listening to many different
recorded examples of jazz in order to give you some familiarity with
many of the principal innovators and the periods and styles with which
they are associated.

Listening to the music in class, you'll gain a new understanding and
appreciation of what jazz is, how it developed, and why this music
reflects 20th century American society more vividly than almost any
other art form.  Listening is very important. Half of your grade will
be based on your attendance, and the other half will be based on your
papers reviewing assigned live and recorded performances.

Week 1 - The origins and the early years (1900-1920), pre-jazz folk,
blues, work songs, gospel, rags, marching bands, and the transitional
period leading to the early pianists and jazz bands... Jelly Roll
Morton, Louis Armstrong, James P.Johnson et al.

Week 2 - The Jazz Age - The Roaring 20's, New Orleans and Chicago, a
growing public awareness of a new music that matched the excitement of
the era.  Bix Beiderbecke, Joe Venuti, The Dorsey Brothers, Fatha
Hines, Red Nichols.

Week 3 - The Swing Era - The Big Bands of the 30's when dance music was
the popular music on the radio.  Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington,
Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, and the small-band swing that
led to the next era.

Week 4 - Bebop! - The revolt in the 40's against arranged jazz, with a
new stress on individualists such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie,
Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Kenny Clarke and Max Roach.

Week 5 - The Cool 50's - a new intellectualism, understatement and
emphasis on more formal arrangements:  Miles Davis, Gil Evans, Gerry
Mulligan, Dave Brubeck, Modern Jazz Quartet and "The Third Stream".

Week 6 - 60's Cross-Currents - a return to the roots of jazz, with
blues-based forms, funky soul jazz by Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Kenny
Burrell, Charles Mingus, a new experimentalism in the music of John
Coltrane, Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman, and a new lyricism in the
music of Bill Evans and others.

Week 7 - Jazz now, with all its eclecticism and experimentalism.
Re-examinations of past styles, fusions with other worlds of music,
emerging talent and some recordings that hadn't even been issued when
we began this survey six weeks ago!