[JPL] Miles/Hard Bop

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 22:56:42 EST 2005

Blaise,

>From my perspective I don't think Miles personally really ever totally crossed over into the so called hard bop concept. By the time he had his sixties quintet together with Tony, Herbie, Ron and Wayne I don't think folk identified that as Hard Bop although it's energy was certainly based on that idea. It was very new harmonically and rhythmically and I really to this day don't think it's sound has ever been clearly identified - other than progressive. His band mates tapped into the Hard Bop energy but not so much him. His trumpet style didn't fit that hard driving, loud and fast sound that Hard Bop was producing. This was one of the reasons that he delved into the so call "modal period" in the later 50's. The music was generally slower with considerably fewer chord progressions and dynamically softer. This style played more into his strengths as a trumpeter than Hard Bop. If you listen to those mid 50's recordings with Philly Joe and Trane (During the tail end of the Hard Bop
 movement) there were very different sonic textures behind Miles than Coltrane or Cannonball but he embraced and liked those differences in his band. My two cent.

Jae Sinnett
WHRV FM Norfolk VA
www.jaesinnett.com

Tom Mallison <tomthejazzman at earthlink.net> wrote:
provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
For more information visit us at http://jpl.yellowdog.com
To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

One of the significant changes in the presentations of Miles Davis came
with his new quintet that featured Herbie/Wayne and Tony. The" Live" in
Berlin CD recently released on Columbia really captures this change with
very good liner notes. Herbie and Tony at the age of 18 really kicked butt
and launched a new direction for Miles. ALOHA to All. Tom

Summit Fellowship a reality. JazzWeek will be announcing the recipients
shortly!

> The 2005 JazzWeek Summit early bird registration rates are going to
expire very soon. Go to http://www.jazzweek.com/summit to register online
or to download the PDF registration form.