[JPL] This List

eric jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 10:58:59 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:37:43 -0500, Ken Irwin <ken-irwin at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Steve,
> I hope that all went well with the "two days of strategic planning
> meetings."  That sounds pretty intimidating to me since most "strategic
> planning" I have seen in radio for the past 30 years has meant more crap,
> and less good programming.  Whether you are an NPR affiliate, a College
> station, or a (good lord, do they exist?) commercial station programming
> jazz it is often a fight to keep our music on the air and available to
> our
> listeners.  I have the utmost respect for you Steve, and any "strategic
> planning" at WGBH should involve insuring the continuation of the
> wonderful
> programming that you have been involved in.

WGBH is about to cutback it's jazz programing. My show now airs Mon -
Thurs 7 pm - mid. Steve's show airs the same hours on Friday. Starting May
30, 'GBH will air a talk show from 7 pm to 8 pm Mon - Fri. I'm not sure
what's going on in Steve's hour but Chris Lydon will host a talk show
before I come on.

Basically PRI came with a deal (money) that WGBH accepted. Chris has been
trying to get my first hour for about 4 years and he was turned down. The
merits of his offering are not what got him his new show. Money got him
his new show.

Eric Jackson
Monday thru Thursday 7 PM to Midnight
WGBH Boston 89.7 FM