[JPL] Valuable Resource

lyohn at emich.edu lyohn at emich.edu
Sat Mar 26 10:34:15 EST 2005

Good morning (or whenever...)

I know that I have not been very active on the list.  Life, especially
family, has had me occupied.

I am motivitated to write because of Steve's question about the mission
of this list.  I admit that I have been one of the "playlist" posters.
I have found sending WEMU's lists to this list an easy way to
disseminate information.  At the same time, I have been lurking,
reading discussions and articles.  The list is a valuable resource.

Yet, like Steve, I appreciate discussions on radio programming and
developments at stations.  There are great ideas in our collective mind
that beg sharing.  What has worked at your station (or on your program)
to grow the number of people who listen to your station/program and the
length of time they listen.  How have you developed more loyal
listeners?  How have you managed to do this and maintain artistic
integrity?  (I know it can be done!)

As you may gather, WEMU is also examining who we are and what we do.  I
don't think it is a bad thing to reflect on your mission, your
successes and your failures every so often.  It is part of growth and
maturity.  Like the wise jazz musician, we plan to become better at
playing the right notes at the right time....and not play too many
notes!  We are going to refinine and improve our presentation and
music.

Perhaps some list participants don't wish to share such information,
espcially the failures.  It's difficult to admit that you might have
made a mistake with the music and craft you love so much.   So, just
share your successes!!

We can learn about the best new music, legends of jazz and the best
practices in radio for jazz through this list.

As ever, I thank Tony and Ed for their vision with the establishment of
this list and their efforts with JazzWeek for everyone.

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director
lyohn at emich.edu