[JPL] Now's the Time

Sanna Craig sannacraig at usa.net
Tue Mar 29 10:15:50 EST 2005

Hi Jim,

Here's what I came up with:

- The beautiful Johnny Mandel tune, "Time for Love" performed by a number of
musicians, including Stan Getz, Art Farmer, Bill Evans, Eric Alexander and Roy
Hargrove

-  "Three O'Clock Jump" and "Two O'Clock Jump" both by Count Basie as spawned
by his classic "One O'Clock Jump." I checked AMG and saw that Erroll Garner
covered all three of them. Also, Harry james recorded "Two O'Clock Jump."

-  "Three O'Clock in the Morning" by Julian Robledo. Besides the usual
suspects: Paul Whiteman, Guy Lombardo and Mantovani, some pretty hip cats,
like Dexter Gordon and Sonny Clark, who really swung it, as well as other
recordings by Oscar Peterson, Don Byas, Coleman Hawkins and more recently,
Joshua Breakstone, of this beautiful waltz.

-  And finally, "Tico Tico," the fun Brazilian samba written by Zequinha Abreu
and recorded by, of course, Xavier Cugat many times, as well as Tommy Dorsey,
Benny Goodman, the Andrew Sisters, and by the great Charlie Parker as well as
other current jazz cats, Terry Gibbs, Joanne Brackeen and Mark Elf. The
English lyrics -  since I don't know Portuguese, may or may not have anything
to do with the original lyrics - include zany lines about a cuckoo in the
clock and "When he says cuckoo! he means it's time to woo; it's tico time for
all the lovers in the block."

Have fun,
Sanna

Sanna Craig