[JPL] ELDAR!

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 23:58:45 EST 2005

>Now here comes Eldar - from Russia no less!

I like the record too, but it's worth noting that Eldar is from Kyrgyzstan,
not Russia. Yes, Kyrgyzstan was part of the former Soviet Union but it's a
different culture from Russia, and they have their own language.
Geographically, it's actually closer to China than Russia. The people of
Kyrgyzstan have been in the news lately for overthrowing their government
because it was tied too closely to the Russian sphere of influence. I don't
know Eldar but I'll bet if you asked him, his parents or most of their
countrymen, they would emphatically deny that they are Russians. For those
who want to go down that road, it's an interesting tie-in when you introduce
the record.

Larry Appelbaum
WPFW-FM