[JPL] This List

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Thu Mar 31 07:10:29 EST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I am finally chirping in here on Steve's original request to re-examine the
purpose of the JPL.  As some of you may recall, I have, on several
occasions, put out a "reminder" that first and foremost, the JPL was in
existence for the purpose of radio programmers to be able to exchange radio
programming ideas and discuss issues of mutual concern (generally done after
some members of the list expressed displeasure at exchanges that, to me,
were made in this original spirit).  Therefore, it would probably come as
little suprise that I am in full support of Steve's notion to re-focus our
efforts in this regard.

With respect to Steve and Linda's comments about self-examination and
strategic planning, I think it would be a good thing to discuss - perhaps at
the JazzWeek Summit, what the future of jazz radio will be.  The radio scene
has change considerably over the last 20 years or so.  With the advent of
satellite radio (XM, Sirius, etc.), MP3s and downloadable music, Infinity
and Clear Channel, the loss of commercial jazz radio - as well as concerns
over the future of NPR, we need to ask what our purpose will be.  Will jazz
radio still be viable?  Will we still serve a need?  What will be the role
of college radio in this mix?  Will there still a strong need and audience
for locally programmed radio?

I look forward to seeing, and re-connecting with, as many of you as possible
in Syracuse.

Cheers,

Brad Stone
KSJS-FM