[JPL] (hearing protection)...."WHAT??"...... I SAID HEARING PROTECTION!!!

Thomas M "Biz" Bisard mrbiz at torchlake.com
Wed Mar 30 22:57:29 EST 2005

                                                    WNMC 90.7 FM  Traverse
City Michigan

                                                          Listen
Online:   <www.wnmc.org>
                                  37 Years of Community Public Radio for
Northwest Lower Michigan
                                       650 BIG watts....we're small, but
our tower is TALL

53 hours of jazz per week (with a bit of blues/folk/world-international in
the mix)  **  9 hours of blues  **  6 hours of folk  **  6 hours of
combined blues/folk/roots  **  6 hours of world/international music  **  A
2 hour weekday morning news-topical-community show  **  The best of
indie-alt rock fills out the schedule

                          Eric Hines, general manager/music director
<ehines at message.nmc.edu>
                            Thomas M "Biz" Bisard, jazz music director
<mrbiz at torchlake.com>
                               Office: (231) 995-2562         Studio
Request Line: (231) 995-1090

                   Product, Promotions, etc to:    WNMC, attn: Eric Hines,
station manager or Biz Bisard, jazz music director
                                                     1701 E Front St
                                                     Traverse City MI 49686

Bobby Jackson wrote:

>>--I attended a couple of high-energy performances last year.  One was
>>with Brian Auger and his Oblivion Express and the other with Billy
>>Cobham's Culture Mix.  I enjoyed both shows immensely but it also left
>>me with the question of how does one maintain their hearing after
>>years of playing at loud decibels?  I've spoken to Dr. Neal Cherian,
>>Associate Staff in the Dept. of Neuology and Otoneurology at the
>>Cleveland Clinic who gave a lot of great insight to this dilemma.
>>I've walked through the process of having custom earplugs made for
>>myself and gaining valuable information about how to protect myself
>>and my family.  In this show we speak to a couple of club owners and
>>with some musicians that have and have not addressed this issue in
>>their own professional lives including the results of having or not
>>having taken steps to protect themselves.  People don't talk about
>>this but we're all involved in a profession where it makes sense to
>>take care of your ears.  That concern also has a wider dimension when
>>you consider people who work at airports, construction sites, rap
>>music and even symphonic music.

Jeff Turton wrote in response:

Nice to see you discovered the joys of well made earplugs. I had my first
pair made for me back in the late 80's and have never looked back. I had a
pair made for my wife shortly after we met (12 years ago) and she loves
hers as well. For some the expense may at first seem extravagant but they
will last a long time and if you spend any amount of time in the clubs the
benefits, as you discovered, are invaluable. Also the technology has come
quite far since I first bought them. you won't miss a note of music and
your ears will love you for it.

My two cents worth, too:

The subject line may seem like I'm trying to be humorous, but protecting
ones ears is a serious matter. I'm just trying to call attention it. I've
played in several high volume groups as well as countless listening
experiences as an audience member. I've been using ear valves since
1970-something. I'm not sure of the company carrying/making them now, but
they were called Norton Sonic II ear valves back in the day. They've got a
fairly soft rubber outer shell with three flanges and a metal cylinder
contained inside. The cylinder is removable so the rubber part can be
washed. There's a baffle system in the cylinder that closes off when sound
pressure becomes too high. Otherwise they stay open so air (and good,tasty
sound) can pass right thru. You can even hear someone whisper when wearing
them. I used to test them by having my trumpet player start playing a few
feet away and walk closer ending up blowing right next to my ear....NOT
recommended, but they worked like a charm. I could feel the baffles close
and thus, did no harm at all. I bought my latest pair several years ago at
a chain sporting goods store in the gun department. They're most likely
still available at any gun shop as target shooters use them as well as
the  earmuff type of protection. They're great on stage and as an audience
member (some people tend to look at you funny if you put on earmuffs at
concerts.)

I just did a quick Google for them and here's a place to
start:   <http://www.earinc.com/p1-filtered-sonicvalve.php>

Yes, there are no doubt better products out there and that link even lists
some, but these do work and have saved my ears more times than I can count.
I take a set with me to ALL concerts, now. As the boy scouts say: "Be
prepared."

Still Hearing After All These Years,
    Biz