[JPL] "New Protection Software from Sony"

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Nov 10 17:11:00 EST 2005

Related article from c/net.com:

Antivirus companies are releasing tools this week to identify, and in some
cases remove, copy protection software contained on recent Sony BMG Music
Entertainment CDs. The software has been identified as a potential security
risk.

The Sony software, found on several of the company's recent albums, is
triggered by playing one of the CDs in a PC.
<http://news.com.com/Antivirus+firms+target+Sony+rootkit//Sony+CD+protection+sparks+security+concerns/2100-7355_3-5926657.html?tag=nl>From
the CD drive, the software installs itself deeply inside a hard drive and
hides itself from view. This cloaking technique could be used by virus
writers to hide their own malicious software, security experts have said.

There is a range of opinion among security companies about how much risk
the software poses, from those who consider it no worse than an adware pest
to those who view it as potentially dangerous spyware.

Symantec said Wednesday that its antivirus software would identify the Sony
software, but would not remove it. Instead, it will point to Sony's own Web
site, where users can get instructions for uninstalling the software or
download a patch that will expose the hidden components.

"We're trying to reinforce here that we're not talking about a virus, or
malicious code, we're talking about technology that could be misused,"
Symantec Senior Director Vincent Weafer said. "We're trying to work
co-operatively."

However, Computer Associates, which has a security division, said on Monday
it had found further security risks in the Sony software and was releasing
a tool to uninstall it directly.

According to Computer Associates, the Sony software makes itself a default
media player on a computer after it is installed. The software then reports
back the user's Internet address and identifies which CDs are played on
that computer. Intentionally or not, the software also seems to damage a
computer's ability to "rip" clean copies of MP3s from non-copy protected
CDs, the security company said.

"It will effectively insert pseudo-random noise into a file so that it
becomes less listenable," said Sam Curry, a Computer Associates vice
president. "What's disturbing about this is the lack of notice, the lack of
consent, and the lack of an easy removal tool."

A Sony representative said the company's technical staff was looking into
the issues identified by Computer Associates, but had no immediate comment.

The furor over the Sony software comes nearly eight months after the copy
protection technique, created by British company First 4 Internet, was
first released on a commercial disc in the United States.

Computer developer and author Mark Russinovich sparked debate over the
software last week by posting on his blog an account of how he had
discovered the First 4 Internet software hiding deep in his hard drive. The
software used a tool called a "rootkit" to hide its presence, a technique
more typically used by virus writers to hide traces of their work.

<http://news.com.com/Antivirus+firms+target+Sony+rootkit//Sony+to+patch+copy-protected+CD/2100-7355_3-5928608.html?tag=nl>Sony
and First 4 Internet quickly released on their Web site a patch that would
uncloak the copy protection software. But CD buyers must go through a more
elaborate process--e-mailing the company's customer service department--to

At 04:29 PM 11/10/2005, you wrote:
>To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
>at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

>Jeff Turton wrote...
>
>If you bought one of the 20 affected CD's, you can uncloak the software,
>and Sony won't be using this scheme anymore.
>
>Question:  Is there a list of the 20 affected CD's that contain this
>cloaking software available?  I would like to avoid them.
>
>Bobby Jackson

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood