[JPL] "New Protection Software from Sony"

Ed Kern dag at dag.net
Fri Nov 11 10:49:37 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Jackson, Bobby wrote:

> Question:  Is there a list of the 20 affected CD's that contain this
> cloaking software available?  I would like to avoid them.

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, here are 19 of them (and
some additional info):

http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_11.php#004146

Trey Anastasio, Shine (Columbia)
Celine Dion, On ne Change Pas (Epic)
Neil Diamond, 12 Songs (Columbia)
Our Lady Peace, Healthy in Paranoid Times (Columbia)
Chris Botti, To Love Again (Columbia)
Van Zant, Get Right with the Man (Columbia)
Switchfoot, Nothing is Sound (Columbia)
The Coral, The Invisible Invasion (Columbia)
Acceptance, Phantoms (Columbia)
Susie Suh, Susie Suh (Epic)
Amerie, Touch (Columbia)
Life of Agony, Broken Valley (Epic)
Horace Silver Quintet, Silver's Blue (Epic Legacy)
Gerry Mulligan, Jeru (Columbia Legacy)
Dexter Gordon, Manhattan Symphonie (Columbia Legacy)
The Bad Plus, Suspicious Activity (Columbia)
The Dead 60s, The Dead 60s (Epic)
Dion, The Essential Dion (Columbia Legacy)
Natasha Bedingfield, Unwritten (Epic)

"This is not a complete list and Sony-BMG continues to refuse to make such
a list available to consumers.  Consumers can spot CDs with XCP by
inspecting a CD closely,
checking the left transparent spine on the front of the case for a label
that says "CONTENT PROTECTED." The back of these CDs also mention XCP in
fine print. You can find pictures of these and other telltale labeling at
http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/Sony-BMG/ "