[JPL] "New Protection Software from Sony"

Jackson, Bobby bjackson at WCPN.org
Fri Nov 11 12:47:27 EST 2005

Thanks for this list!  It's a good thing to know.

PC user...
Bobby Jackson

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com] On Behalf Of Ed Kern
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 10:50 AM
To: Jazz Programmers Mailing List
Subject: RE: [JPL] "New Protection Software from Sony"

JazzWeek.
For more information visit us at  http://www.jazzweek.com/jpl To become
a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or
866-453-6401.

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Jackson, Bobby wrote:

> Question:  Is there a list of the 20 affected CD's that contain this
> cloaking software available?  I would like to avoid them.

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, here are 19 of them
(and some additional info):

http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_11.php#004146

Trey Anastasio, Shine (Columbia)
Celine Dion, On ne Change Pas (Epic)
Neil Diamond, 12 Songs (Columbia)
Our Lady Peace, Healthy in Paranoid Times (Columbia) Chris Botti, To
Love Again (Columbia) Van Zant, Get Right with the Man (Columbia)
Switchfoot, Nothing is Sound (Columbia) The Coral, The Invisible
Invasion (Columbia) Acceptance, Phantoms (Columbia) Susie Suh, Susie Suh
(Epic) Amerie, Touch (Columbia) Life of Agony, Broken Valley (Epic)
Horace Silver Quintet, Silver's Blue (Epic Legacy) Gerry Mulligan, Jeru
(Columbia Legacy) Dexter Gordon, Manhattan Symphonie (Columbia Legacy)
The Bad Plus, Suspicious Activity (Columbia) The Dead 60s, The Dead 60s
(Epic) Dion, The Essential Dion (Columbia Legacy) Natasha Bedingfield,
Unwritten (Epic)

"This is not a complete list and Sony-BMG continues to refuse to make
such a list available to consumers.  Consumers can spot CDs with XCP by
inspecting a CD closely, checking the left transparent spine on the
front of the case for a label that says "CONTENT PROTECTED." The back of
these CDs also mention XCP in fine print. You can find pictures of these
and other telltale labeling at http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/Sony-BMG/ "

applicants in fields related to jazz, including musicians, educators,
broadcasters, promoters, retailers, and more. Sign up now at
<http://www.jazzweek.com/>. Subscribe before November 21 and
receive a free copy of our post-Katrina special issue.