[JPL] Chris Botti

'Asr Records - KCMO asrrecordswebmaster at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 09:16:10 EST 2005

That was an extremely objective observation and very well put, Jae.  THANKS!

Jae Sinnett <jaejazz at yahoo.com> wrote:  -------------------------------------------

This week's sponsor is: JazzWeek Magazine, with new complimentary subscriptions available

To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

I remember someone writing in not long ago asking about the new Chris Botti CD. I'll give it to him.....the arrangements are fantastic. Give Jeremy Lubbock and Billy Childs some love on this end. The use of space with his trumpet work is musical and smart. While there is a risk in using the Harmon mute as much as he does in terms of creating intonation problems......he pulls it off nicely. Not many playing today can use the mute in ballad situations and keep the horn in tune. His horn is also beautifully recorded although I could use a little more "room" resonance as opposed to relying more on board reverb. I'm sure the studio was big enough to create that type of room ambience but obviously not to his ears.

The weak points of the disc are with several of the vocalists. In my opinion Sting sounds good and maybe one or two more. The others have problems singing over advanced harmonic progressions and simply singing in tune - which can be a result of not being able to hear the harmonic structures underneath. One example would be with with Steve Tyler. Perhaps that's why he was last in the sequencing. Pop and rock singers need to be a little more humble and realize the pop music of today is nothing like that of yesterday.You needed serious talent to deal with that music back then and the level of sophistication hasn't change with that material over the years. What has changed is the level of talent today. With some attempting to try and sing the music from back then most show little respect for the musicianship required to effectively deal with it from the superior musical platform it deserves. Perhaps Botti and his producers are assuming that most of his fans are tone deaf and wouldn't
give a rats butt about that but only the names. They would would probably be right.

Jae Sinnett
WHRV FM
Norfolk VA

Complimentary subscriptions to JazzWeek are now available to qualified applicants in fields related to jazz, including musicians, educators, broadcasters, promoters, retailers, and more. Sign up now at <http://www.jazzweek.com/>. Subscribe before November 21 and receive a free copy of our post-Katrina special issue.

Operations Manager
'ASR RECORDS - Kansas City USA
Online at http://www.Alaadeen.com