[JPL] It's a beautiful thing...I'm not so sure!

MFA - Jazz Publicity & Radio Promotion MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 09:58:03 EST 2005

On 16 Nov 2005, at 02:00, jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com wrote:

> From: Kathryn Smith <katesmith999 at yahoo.com>
> Date: 15 November 2005 18:23:42 MST
> To: JPL <jazzproglist at jazzweek.com>
> Subject: [JPL] It's a beautiful thing...
>

> Either/Orchestra "Live in Addis" (ethiopiques 20)

Dear Group -

Sorry if I missed something as I used to read JPL posts on Yahoo! and
that stopped happening on Oct. 9.

Has the ban on promoters posting promotional messages that were to be
restricted to off-board e-mails been lifted?  I would appreciate
knowing from the moderator one way or the other.

I congratulate Russ Gershon, an old friend, and the E/O who certainly
deserve kudos for this phenomenal new CD which I've been featuring on
my Friday night show at KUVO for several weeks.

But if I and other promoters start posting our thank you e-mails at
JPL I personally feel the purpose of the board has been violated.

I raised this in a conversation with Garrett several weeks ago when a
post similar to Kate's surfaced and he thought perhaps one day should
be set aside for promo posts.  If so Saturday or Sunday which are
usually slow days might be appropriate.

I'd be interested in reading the opinions of others, particularly the
radio programmers for whom I was informed by Tony G the list was
primarily created.

The E/O's CD is indeed a beautiful thing as is the response it has
been getting from college radio in particular (moved up to #3 in this
week's CMJ jazz top-40 chart) but with all due respect to Kate, I'm
not so sure posting hype among our discussions of issues affecting
the industry, etc. is.

Mitchell

MFA
Publicity, Radio Promotion & Consulting
For The International Jazz Community

Mitchell Feldman Associates
3432 Quivas Street #2
Denver, CO 80211 / USA
Phone:    303.433.0021
Cell:        303.641.4783
MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net