[JPL] It's a beautiful thing...I'm not so sure!

Tom Bingham mason2042 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 12:28:48 EST 2005

>From my own perspective, as an eclectic DJ who does not receive promo
service from the major jazz labels or from many of the indie jazz CD
promoters either (with grateful exceptions), I have to fight for every jazz
CD I get. (As I've said in the past - if I get more, I'll play more.) Thus,
I find these promotional announcements very helpful, as a source of
information on new material that I don't otherwise hear about, and as a
source for contacts. As it turns out, Kate Smith has been one of the
exceptions. Due to her promotional efforts, her clients (and former ones)
have found their way onto my playlists with some frequency. But I'm not just
trying to defend Kate here, I'm hoping to point out that for a lot of us
"little guys", these promotional mailings can be highly useful, for the DJ,
for the artist, and subsequently for jazz as a whole.
Tom Bingham
WCVF-FM

On 11/16/05, Ed Trefzger <ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com> wrote:

> To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
> at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

> On Nov 16, 2005, at 9:58 AM, MFA - Jazz Publicity & Radio Promotion
> wrote:
>
> > Has the ban on promoters posting promotional messages that were to
> > be restricted to off-board e-mails been lifted? I would appreciate
> > knowing from the moderator one way or the other.
>
> The ban has not been litfed, but since messages are not moderated,
> one may slip through. When one does slip through, the moderator does
> address it individually. If messages like that were to continue by
> an individual, the sender would be set to have all messages moderated.
>
> Ed
> applicants in fields related to jazz, including musicians, educators,
> broadcasters, promoters, retailers, and more. Sign up now at
> &lt;http://www.jazzweek.com/&gt;. Subscribe before November 21 and receive a
> free copy of our post-Katrina special issue.

Tom Bingham
"General Eclectic"
WCVF-FM
115 McEwen Hall