[JPL] RIP Roy Brooks

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Wed Nov 16 17:56:03 EST 2005

On Nov 16, 2005, at 3:51 PM, MFA - Jazz Publicity & Radio Promotion
wrote:

> Sorry to communicate sad news and unfortunately I don't have any
> details but I heard this this afternoon in a conversation with
> Detroit Metro Times editor Kim Heron.  Kim said this occurred
> either yesterday or early today but neither he nor Mark Stryker at
> the Free Press had any details as of this writing.  Perhaps Dr.
> Jazz can find out something?

Stryker recently filed this report:

<http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051116/
NEWS11/51116018>

Legendary Detroit jazz drummer Roy Brooks dies

BY MARK STRYKER
FREE PRESS MUSIC WRITER

Roy Brooks, one of the greatest jazz musicians to emerge from Detroit
and in his heyday in the 1960s a ubiquitous presence in clubs and on
record with many of the biggest names in jazz, died Tuesday at
Detroit Receiving Hospital. He was 67 and suffered from heart, lung,
arthritis and circulation troubles, said his wife Hermine Brooks.

Brooks’ clarified swing, gutsy attack, fiery momentum and distinctive
rhythmic snap made him on eof the keynote hard bop drummers of his
generation. He made his name with pianist Horace Silver’s Quintet
from 1959-64 and later worked or recorded with Sonny Stitt, Yusef
Lateef, Dexter Gordon, Charles Mingus, James Moody and countless others.

After returning to Detroit in the ’70s, Brooks became a godfather on
the local scene, working with groups such as his Aboriginal
Percussion Choir, playing the blues on the musical saw and mentoring
future stars like pianist Geri Allen.