[JPL] Promotional Posts On JPL

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Sun Nov 20 13:05:28 EST 2005

> As instigator and chairman of the Pittsfield CityJazz Festival in
> Massachusetts last month, I announced the jazz weekend to JPL. This
> was a
> city-sponsored event that was co-sponsored by the non-profit
> Berkshire Music  School, and
> underwritten by Legacy Banks and some other commercial  enterprises.
>
> I did receive some direct responses, and some support, for which I am
> grateful; the event was a critical and box-office success. My
> question is this:  was
> my announcement of the Festival an abuse of JPL?

I don't think it was an abuse, or we wouldn't have passed the message
along to the list.

What we're talking about with the overtly commercial is message that
explicitly promote a record going for airplay.  We also have
considered musicians' posts about upcoming gigs as outside the limits.

Radio folks and others are more than welcome to post critical
comments -- positive or negative -- about new releases and to mention
things like interviews, special appearances, and so forth.

The original purpose of the list was to have an ongoing dialogue
about issues affecting jazz radio, especially on the programming
side. While a large amount of list traffic has become the posting of
playlists, the primary focus of the list was and still is for
discussion. Unfortunately, that has dwindled to be a small part of it.

Ed