[JPL] Holiday Music Programming Timetable / Ellington Special

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 27 02:53:47 EST 2005

Holiday music on Jazz After Hours begins with a sampling of the newest
releases next weekend, Dec 3-4, and will increase in frequency through
Dec 24 & 25, when it will be virtually solid.

A special feature this year available to ALL PRI affiliate stations
(whether or not they subscribe to Jazz After Hours) is the national
debut of a new double CD of The Sacred Music of Duke Ellington as
performed in concert by The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra with vocal
soloists and chorus.  This new 2 CD set of highlights is drawn from
concert recordings I've made for the annual broadcast on KPLU.  The
national debut  on Jazz After Hours coincides with the official CD
release date, December 17, and the SRJO will perform the concert again
that same night for the 17th consecutive year in Seattle.

Though not specifically tied to the holiday season, The Sacred Music of
Duke Ellington has been presented annualy in Seattle by Earshot Jazz on
the weekend closest to the Winter Solstice, the longest night of the
year, marking the turning point and the coming of the light.  This is
very moving music, performed by an excellent orchestra with soloists in
every chair, recorded in a large church before enthusiastic capacity
audiences.  Joining the SRJO are The Oregon Repertory Singers from
Portland, and vocal soloists Dee Daniels, James Caddell, and Nichol
Eskridge.

The one-hour highlights program will be fed at 1AM EST on 12/17 as the
second hour of the regular Jazz After Hours  feed, and all PRI
affiliates may record and use the program free of charge during the
holiday season or at any time through February '06 - Black History
Month.   For more information, see the PRI infosite or contact your
station rep at PRI.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org