[JPL] Holiday music, Year-end polls

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Sun Nov 27 08:53:50 EST 2005

Hello all,

I hope you had a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving.  I had fun presenting
WEMU's annual "food song festival" for Thanksgiving morning.  It is
totally politically incorrect and loads of fun.

I went through this year's new holiday CDs on Friday and put them in
studio late Friday afternoon.  I also chose two little racks of the
best holiday music of the past (Jimmy Smith, Ella Fitzgerald, Wynton
Marsalis et. al.).  It is then up to hosts.  I might do one holiday
track per show for the first two weeks in December and then
get "serious" around December 15th.

Another aspect of WEMU programming that will kick in strong around
December 15th will be the "outstanding releases of 2005".  WEMU hosts
submit their lists which we collate in to a "ballot" for listeners.
Listeners vote on our website.  We compare our choices with theirs.  It
is fun and instructive for WEMU hosts because we don't always match
up!   These lists are an excellent tool to help me update our "core"
jazz section with host--and listener--favorites.

When this information is all collated, I'll send it to the list.

Happy holidays to all,

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director