[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show, Nov 28

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 03:50:15 EST 2005

Still Another Jazz Show     Nov 28

Either Orchestra    “Amlak  abet  abet “   ETHIOPIA
SUITE   Buda  Musique

Brian Lynch Latin Jazz Sextet     “Tom  Harrell”
CONCLAVE      Criss Cross Records

Fort Apache Band with Jerry Gonzalez     “Along Came
Betty”     RUMBA BUHAINA
Random Chance Records

Bill Ransom      “John McKee”   “Dienda”
GENERATIONS      Bongo Time Productions

Laura Welland    “I’ve Got A Crush/ Dreamsville”
“Ridin’ High”   DISSERTATION
ON THE STATE OF BLISS

The Kyle Asche Organ Trio        “The Hook Up”    THE
HOOK UP     OA2 Records

Alex Sipiagin      “Returning”   RETURNING
Criss-Cross Records

Tineke Postma     “Summersong”    FOR THE RHYTHM
MunichRecords

Amy Banks   “Poetry Man”    WHEN THE SUN COMES OUT

Tineke Postma      “Comprehension”    FOR  THE  RHYTHM
    Munich Records

Pyeng Threadgil     “Wishing Well”     “Before Day”
OF THE AIR
Random Chance Records

The Onus     “Cariocas”     TRIPHONY       Hipnotic
Records

Mark   O’Connor      “Anniversary”       HOT  SWING
BAND      Omac Records

Either Orchestra from Cambridge Mass.  begins SAJS
with their new 2 CD package, ethiopiques   live at
Addis Abbaba at the Ethiopian Music Festival, which ,
I think, means ETHIOPIAN SUITE.  Since we’re not sure
of translation,  we’ll imagine as such...Although
Imagination  is funny...makes a cloudy day sunny...(as
my ex would say,: “don’t get me started!”)
Back to the music...
We played the opening selection, “Amlak, abet abet” a
free open very percussive rousing piece with Coltrane
and Mingus intonations.  The statement here is back to
the roots before New Orleans, with a brief visitation
through the Crescent city, 52nd street and  onto the
super highway of progressive jazz. The CD features
Either Orchestra led by Ron Gershon.  The trumpet solo
by Colin Fisher is probably the best for the most
organic synergy  of the year.  Add the Ethiopian
purcussion and this band just ROARS!  If Darwin had a
theory on the Evolution of Jazz, it’s here in
ethiopiques.
BRIAN LYNCH LATIN JAZZ SEXTET is next on the set with
a new exciting  CD, CONCLAVE.  Visions of Dizzy
Gillespie  and Kenny  Dorham and early and relevant
Afro Cuban hard bop.
JERRY GONZALEZ & THE FORT APACHE BA ND  is next with
their new CD RUMBA BUHAINA , music of Art Blakey and
the Jazz Messengers  with a Benny Golson classic,
“Along Came Betty.” The combo of Jerry Gonzalez
blowing l;ike a Kenny Dorham, Joe Ford’s saxophone is
always ‘right there,’ as  well as a laid back Larry
Willis, steady Andy Gonzalez and Steve Berrios, as
always,  Fort Apache is fresh.
Cleveland drummer,  BILL RANSOM’S new CD kicks off the
second segment called GENERATIONS.  Cleveland’s answer
to hard bop heaven- the emancipation that all dues is
good dues-no matter what the news! Fact is hard bop
roots go deep in the midwest .  These are all great
players from Ohio and environs,  who settle down and
groove to  the scene.  This  new Bill Ransom CD is the
real news, prominent local musician, who can cut the
mustard with anyone, here and now in the depths  of
deliberation  with other Cleveland players as
prominent and no greater or less than the sum of bop
plu -perfect parts.  We played Pat Metheny’s “John
Mckee” and “Diende.” and watch out for a great tune,
Tony Williams, “Sister Cheryl.”
Seattle vocalist,  LAURA WELLAND  is next with her new
CD,   DISSERTATION ON THE STATE OF BLISS.  Laura
projects a soft, charming,  very sultry center in her
phrasing, much like Blossom Dearie. She sings two very
popular tunes that Dearie covered a time ago, a
medley, “I’ve Got A Crush/Dreamsville.” and  added
“Ridin High” with Mike LeDonne doing his best
impression of Milt Bruckner
The first hour concludes with the Kyle Asche Organ
Trio from Chicago. We played the title
tune, “The Hook Up,” a nice brisk little jam.
ALEX SIPIAGIN  begins the second hour of SAJS with new
CD, RETURNING.
We played the tune on which Sipiagin displays
remarkable alacrity with  saxophonist Seamus Blake. He
displays the power and tonality of a Woody Shaw. In
fact , this tune is sort of a reincarnation of Shaw,
laced in  hard bop intensity.   Guitarist Adam Rogers
adds more decorum with bass player Scott Colley with
Antonio Sanchez on drums.  Rogers  makes more sense
when you realize how much Metheny ‘s music means  to
Sipiagin, back in the U.S.S.R. , as indicated here
with two selections on this CD. Adam Rogers in guitar
is steady and apparent however  Metheny’s appeal
offers added significance.  This is how subtle and
pervasive this music can be...
Sipiagin will take you back to those halcyon days of
bi carbonate rays and full color spectrum of niceties.
...  I fondly remember most of  those cloudy summer
afternoons in Monterey in the eighties, when  tripping
on Metheny  bliss  on the beach at Asilimar. Or, it
could be the big sky in Tampa,   or as   Sipiagin
goes, some way  in Russia.  Metheny has a mysterious
universal  indicator  appeal in  this new Sipiagin CD.

Sipiagin will ‘get you  lost’ in the amazing tapestry
of RETURNING.   Adam Rogers “Pictures” is a wonderful
antecedent .
Dutch saxophonist TINEKE POSTMA  is next with her new
FOR THE RHYTHM CD.   We played “Summersong” where she
soars on soprano.   She’s also an articulate alto
player on “Voyage.” Tineke’s tonal quality on Alto is
plaintive, sad, yet uplifting and pronounced.
Guitarist, Edoardo  Righini is highly regarded on the
adjacent selection, “Comprehension.”  This is smoke
filled ecstacy.
 We squeezed in (what a squeeze) vocalist AMY BANKS
from her newest, WHEN THE  SUN COMES OUT,  between the
two selections  by Tineke Postma .   We played Phoebe
Snow’s  “Poetry Man. ” and soon you’ll agree this
young lady can sing, especially with her torchy
version of “When The Sun Comes Out.”
Pyeng Threadgill  begins the last segment with new CD,
OF THE AIR.   She has the exploratory nature in her
music, much like her father, Henry Threadgill, as
unique  in her own manner,  a conception, very
contemporary and progressive with time elements that
blend and change with lyrical foreplay as in “Inner
Lining” almost a light Celtic ritualism.  And the very
sensual non entity beginning   into a cha-cha
rhythmic  incantation in “Cater pillar Crossing,” and
“Close To Me “ a unique metaphor of love.   “Power
Play” sounds more  the same direction as  her father,
vant gard and  structurally with brass in the
forefront and lyric, on top, in cadence.   We played
“Wishing Well” with very light accompaniment
transforming to string ensemble and airy light doo-wap
lyricism.   Then “Before Day” with a folksy lyric and
jazzy acoustic accompaniment. Interesting Priestly.
Pyeng Threadgill is an original , as much as Laura
Nyro in her generation.
THE ONUS is next with their new TRIPHONY release.  A
trio, clarinet, bass and drums that blooms and meshes
well. Treat this CD as a series of movements, songs
and dances with desultory Spanish influences with many
grand entrances and exits all connected with varied
and pronounced rhythmic structure. Sound confusing?
Not really.  With THE ONUS you are about to embark on
a unique musical Odyssey with clarinetist, Daryl
Harper, Butch Reed on drum and the very important
heart of this trio, bassist,  Mathew Parrish. We
played “Cariocas,” basking in   Spanish avant gard
imagery. Invision two humorous disparate partners
attempting to dance the tango.
Lastly, not leastly,  as in Jason Priestly. Oops,
there’s goes those silly play on words again-
Tourettes Syndrome of the metaphor - I can’t help
myself!
MARK O’CONNOR closes the show with his new CD, HOT
SWING TRIO   LIVE IN NEW YORK with  Frank Vignola on
guitar and Jon Burr on bass and it’s a whole different
story!
And mention Stephane Grappelli and Django Reinhardt
and you most definitely have everyone’s attention.  We
played “Anniversary,” incandescent  in it’s tribute.
Mark O’Connor, America’s foremost fiddler and  blue
grass  sensation  and guitarist,  Frank Vignola
provide an excellent team for this music . Stephane
Grappelli and Django Reinhardt?  Come on. For those of
us who haven’t heard,  this is a real treat!
Finally, O’Connor’s eulogy  to Claude “Fiddler”
Williams in “Fiddler Going Home” is simple, profound,
Blue Grass and very American. This is a beautiful CD.
Mark O’Connor is an American original.

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
MONDAY 10 am & 10 pm, Pacific