[JPL] Souled American

Jackson, Bobby bjackson at WCPN.org
Wed Nov 30 14:11:31 EST 2005

Thanks Eric for answering......Hope all is well with you in Boston.

The books full title is "Souled American - How Black Music Transformed
White Culture" by music, film, theater and pop culture critic Kevin
Phinney.  Kevin is Irish and writes for several music trades, newpapers
and magazines.  He also served as a morning drive host for a 107.1 KSGR
in Austin, TX.  He recently moved to the Seattle, WA area.

The book traces race relations in this country through music of all
genres (including gospel, spirituals, country, rock and roll, R & B,
jazz, rap etc.) from slavery to the present day.  He begins in the early
17th century with an Englishman named Richard Jobson who was the first
European to formally write anything about whites watching Africans
engaged in making music and brings the story all the way to our present
day with people from Justin Timberlake to Wynton Marsalis.  He shows the
parallel universe from early white performers in blackface to modern day
blackface performers such as Eminem. It is filled with intricate
historical detail about the times, the people and atmosphere that our
music was created in.  It is decidedly done from the perspective of the
United States lens.

I think he failed to address in more detail the importance Latino
perspective, but it doesn't take away from all of the good investigation
that he brings to the table.  It is the best read I've had all year
(along with Michelle Mercer's Wayne Shorter biography).  The book is
provocative, thoughtful and filled with literally hundreds of interviews
from musicians, historians, filmmakers, scholars, deejays and people
involved in the music business.

As I'd mentioned before in my first e-mail, it is an amazing read.  I
will have him on my Jazz Tracks show to talk about our culture through
the lens of our breadth and width of music that we have all created
together as Americans.  As a matter of fact, I'm hoping to bring him to
Cleveland to speak at some educational forums next year.

I thought it might be of value to ask this panel about Souled American
so that I could have some different perspectives on this book.

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson
WCPN-FM
Cleveland, OH