[JPL] response to Jae Sinnett's post of 03-31-06

Bob Rogers rwsfin at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 1 14:52:58 EST 2006

“…a show that has been created for the listeners to expect simply – the
unexpected.”

………     Jae Sinnett, post to JPL, 3-31-06

                Thanks to Jae for a posting that certainly resonates with
me.  I thought the set list example especially well-chosen:
Hubbard-Lark-Mehldau-Christian Scott-Dafnis Prieto. To me, the invocation of
surprise as a prime programming directive speaks to many of the issues he
mentions earlier, such as radio overvaluing marquee names, programming more
by marketing metrics than by ear.

	If I have a stack of music to listen to for airplay consideration, and that
stack includes Wynton Marsalis and Christian Scott, I’ll make time for Scott
first because good music from someone I don’t know anything about is more
interesting to me than the fact that Wynton has recorded another cd.
Understand I’m using these names only because they were the ones in Jae’s
example.  Marsalis and Scott could just as easily be James Carter and
Rudresh Mahanthappa. The degree of their “marquee-nameness” is the point.

	I can only program jazz in a very personal way.  Someone else (or everyone
else, for that matter) might listen to Wynton first.  But personally I’d
rather present someone new to me.  And whatever I want to play after the
current cut, is what’s going to happen.  It’s that simple and only depends
on what music I thought to assemble before me.  Because I don’t like to
preplan my programming, I have to preassemble quite a large body of music
from which to choose. [note: programming sponteneity is much more
time-consuming that mere program preparation]

My decisions are pretty much governed by the passions and emotions I am
experiencing while that current cut is playing, which in turn may well be
governed by what I had for breakfast this morning.  It’s pretty much beyond
my prediction or understanding. The point is, it’s personal, spontaneous,
very subjective radio. That’s the thing I always listen for and too seldom
experience. Maybe that’s just me. But when I’m listening to the radio, that
too is just me. I think radio (and jazz), properly understood and practiced,
need to be highly personal.

If I am listening to the radio, it’s going to be jazz most of the time. And
if that jazz programming isn’t interesting enough to me, I’ll turn it off,
which happens a lot.  If I hear too many marquee names, I figure the person
on the air either is not making their own decisions or, from my perspective,
they don’t seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground or it sounds
like some marketing plan in action.  Why would I listen to some
marketing/celebrity-addled airhead? [CLICK!]

Moral:  If you can surprise me maybe I’ll keep listening.  But understand
that if you don’t surprise me you will bore me.  And I can get music from
any number of sources.  I don’t have to tolerate boredom in music.  If I
wanted boredom I’d be listening to some “rock” station on commercial radio.

Best regards,

Bob Rogers
2816 Barmettler Street
Raleigh, NC 27607