[JPL] JALC Head Steps Down

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Sat Apr 1 22:54:41 EST 2006

Posted on Sat, Apr. 01, 2006
[]

Jazz at Lincoln Center chief stepping down

Associated Press

NEW YORK - The president and chief executive officer of Jazz at Lincoln
Center is stepping down, a little more than a year after being appointed to
the position.

Effective immediately, Derek Gordon will become an adviser to the center's
board of directors.

"The things that really excite me are being involved in artistic
partnerships and collaborations and developing those programs," Gordon told
The New York Times for Saturday's editions. "The ongoing day-to-day of
making the building run leaves so little time to do the things I had really
hoped would be a larger percentage of the work here."

Gordon was appointed president and CEO in January 2005. He previously
served as the organization's executive director.

Before joining Jazz at Lincoln Center, Gordon served 12 years as a senior
executive at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in
Washington, D.C. Before that, he was executive director of the Pennsylvania
Council of the Arts and executive director of the Louisiana Division of the
Arts.

Jazz at Lincoln Center Chairwoman Lisa Schiff said she was unsure whether
Gordon would be succeeded. For now, management duties would be shared by
artistic director Wynton Marsalis and Katherine E. Brown, the center's
executive director.

ON THE NET

Jazz at Lincoln Center:
<http://www.jazzatlincolncenter.org/>http://www.jazzatlincolncenter.org/