[JPL] response to Jae Sinnett's post of 03-31-06

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 10:10:01 EDT 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 14:52, Bob Rogers wrote:

>a show that has been created for the listeners to expect simply – the
> unexpected.”

     Jae Sinnett, post to JPL, 3-31-06

>                 Thanks to Jae for a posting that certainly resonates with
> me.  I thought the set list example especially well-chosen:
> Hubbard-Lark-Mehldau-Christian Scott-Dafnis Prieto. To me, the invocation
> of surprise as a prime programming directive speaks to many of the issues
> he mentions earlier, such as radio overvaluing marquee names, programming
> more by marketing metrics than by ear.
>
> 	If I have a stack of music to listen to for airplay consideration, and
> that stack includes Wynton Marsalis and Christian Scott, I’ll make time for
> Scott first because good music from someone I don’t know anything about is
> more interesting to me than the fact that Wynton has recorded another cd.
> Understand I’m using these names only because they were the ones in Jae’s
> example.  Marsalis and Scott could just as easily be James Carter and
> Rudresh Mahanthappa. The degree of their “marquee-nameness” is the point.

I think a balance of some sort is important here. I understand the idea of
wanting to play the new artist but I remember back in my student days (back
before I got promo copies) when  I would walk into a record store that if I
saw a recording by someone and I was interested in their music, I wanted to
hear it. Sometimes an album of people I wasn't familiar with would catch my
eye and I'd be curious to hear it but obviously if someone whose music I
liked released a record, I'd want to hear it. I've always remembered that in
programming. If a marquee-name puts out a new recording I would assume that
he or she has an established fan base waiting to hear that new release. In
order to serve my audience, I factor that into my auditioning and my
programming. I do want to program that new artist too. The challenge is to
find some balance, some mix of both.

> 	I can only program jazz in a very personal way.  Someone else (or everyone
> else, for that matter) might listen to Wynton first.  But personally I’d
> rather present someone new to me.  And whatever I want to play after the
> current cut, is what’s going to happen.  It’s that simple and only depends
> on what music I thought to assemble before me.  Because I don’t like to
> preplan my programming, I have to preassemble quite a large body of music
> from which to choose. [note: programming sponteneity is much more
> time-consuming that mere program preparation]
>
> My decisions are pretty much governed by the passions and emotions I am
> experiencing while that current cut is playing, which in turn may well be
> governed by what I had for breakfast this morning.  It’s pretty much beyond
> my prediction or understanding. The point is, it’s personal, spontaneous,
> very subjective radio. That’s the thing I always listen for and too seldom
> experience. Maybe that’s just me. But when I’m listening to the radio, that
> too is just me. I think radio (and jazz), properly understood and
> practiced, need to be highly personal.

That sounds fine to me.

In 1970 and 1971 I worked for WBUR, doing a Friday evening jazz show. It
eventually became an overnight show. When I started  I found what you might
describe as an after hours scene going on in the studio. Lots of musicians
would drop by just to play in the studio, not on the air. It was a huge jam
session and lots of other folks stopped by to listen to the music. It was a
unique experience for me as an announcer because it was like doing a jazz
show on the radio with a live audience. That's something most of us today
don't do. When I made segues I could often see and hear the audience
reaction. Although they might ask me later about the unknown artist, the
response to the familiar was immediate. People responded verbally. They often
showed some sort of body movement that indicated how much they liked the
music.

From 1972 to 1977 I worked at WBCN doing the overnight show during the week. I
was hired to do a show and the show was to be about 60% jazz. I remember one
of the veteran announcers coming to me and saying how much he enjoyed my
show. He thought it was the best all night show in the country at the time
but he did have a comment I never forgot. He told me that sometimes he felt
lost. There would be no words and nothing familiar. He said that while
listening, he needed to have something familiar or else he got lost. I think
he was challenging me to find some sort of balance between what will be
familiar to a number of listeners while also taking them musically to new
places.

> If I am listening to the radio, it’s going to be jazz most of the time. And
> if that jazz programming isn’t interesting enough to me, I’ll turn it off,
> which happens a lot.  If I hear too many marquee names, I figure the person
> on the air either is not making their own decisions or, from my
> perspective, they don’t seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground or
> it sounds like some marketing plan in action.  Why would I listen to some
> marketing/celebrity-addled airhead? [CLICK!]

Well, I would just ask you, do you see yourself as just the average music fan?
My guess is that you and I  and a lot of the other people on this list are
not the average music fan. When I program I am trying to stay true to the
music while trying to reach as many people as I can with my show. I need to
be able to appeal to the average jazz fan and not just to the aficionados.
Not every listener is as adventurous as we might be.

In addition, just because something is familiar to us or because it's
something we've heard a million times that doesn't mean it's won't be a first
time listening experience for someone else. I've had callers who didn't know
who Duke Ellington was.

> Moral:  If you can surprise me maybe I’ll keep listening.  But understand
> that if you don’t surprise me you will bore me.  And I can get music from
> any number of sources.  I don’t have to tolerate boredom in music.  If I
> wanted boredom I’d be listening to some “rock” station on commercial radio.

As I tried to point out above, the familiar, can surprise and bring joy to
many listeners and that is who we are doing radio for.

Eric Jackson
8 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston
89.7 FM