[JPL] Linda's addition to discussion

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Sun Apr 2 12:46:44 EDT 2006

Good morning all,

I finally have a little time to weigh in on the excellent airplay
discussion taking place on the jazzproglist.  Yes, the discussion
began with some very painful venting, but it has revealed positive
contributions, thoughts and, we hope for all involved, a positive
outcome--meaning an understanding of the parts we all play in jazz.

I have not had time to contribute until now, because I have been
involved in fund drive preparation.  Sometimes I think preparing for a
fund drive is harding than doing one!  But, our drive is rolling right
now and we are right where we need to be.  We hope to have a positive
report for you when the drive wraps up next Saturday afternoon.

The older I get, the more I know that balance is important in life.
We must apply balance to our programming as well.  All new jazz will
not work.  The listeners will not find that "foothold" that you move
from for further exploration.  All classic jazz will not work.
Listeners will will eventually be under-stimulated and bored.
Listeners will leave you when they are bored.  All marquee artists
will not work.  Listeners will percieve you as uninformed and leave
you for an exploration of different approaches.  All unknown artists
will not work.  Again, the listener does require some familiarity
mixed in with the new voices.  And, all national artists will not
work.  To truly succeed with your local listener, a diligent
programmer will give his or home-town heroines and heroes the highest
priority when reviewing new material.

I don't know about your locale, but in the Detroit area we have great
jazz musicians.  They did not all go to New York or Los Angeles.  Many
chose to remain here when Motown moved to L.A.  Many chose to stay
here because Detroit is essentially an "Up South" town and is very
strong on the family.  From the 1940s through late 1960s, Detroit was
very, very strong financially.  (As an aside--then there's 2006--see
why we're concerned about this fund drive?)

In the '40s Detroit built an incredible music studies program in the
public schools which included jazz instruction.  They kept up that
high level of in-school music instrution through the early '80s.
Detroit jazz musicians Marcus Belgrave, Wendell Harrison and Harold
McKinney kept the jazz going after school with their lessons and jazz
development workshops.  The national jazz community reaps the benefit
of Detroit's great publis schools today with artists such as James
Carter, Regina Carter, Rodney Whitaker, Kenny Garrett, Ali Jackson and
others.

The musicians who remained behind and those who were mentored by the
local masters are putting out fabulous music.  Shahida Nurullah is
just one example.  Her CD isn't on WEMU's "hot" list right now, but it
lived at the top of our airplay list two years ago.  We were there
first, as we should have been, supporting our local artists.  The Ruby
and The Pearl is a masterpiece.  I am glad that you all got a chance
to hear it and share it with your listeners.  I am glad Shahida took
the plunge to get her disc on the national jazz radar.  I am glad Dr.
Jazz helped bring this example of Detroit jazz artistry to your
attention.

I bring up this aspect of the discussion, because this may illustrate
why a music director may not chose to program a lesser-known national
individual.

This has scenario happened to me many, many times: a national release
will come in.  At the same time, a solid regional release by one of
these fabulous Detroiters or Ann Arborites will come in.  The
production values on the regional release will be just as good (or in
few cases better!!) than the national release.  What am I going to do
as a music director who wants to serve her community with the best
balance in familiar to fresh and in regional to national?  I will give
the regional release the same respect as the national.  This builds
respect for the station from listeners.  Respect means listener
support.  Listener support means the station stays on the air ready to
accept releases from all over the globe and we will try to balance the
international deluge with the need to support the local music
community.

I hope the group understands that music directors consider many
aspects when deciding whether or not to program a recordings.
Sometimes, in the case of an outstanding regional release, it is a
snap decision.  And in the case of a lesser-known national recording,
the decision may take longer while the music director figures out how
to make this one part of the unique mix of his-her station.

Another aside--it's daylight savings time change day today.  Yay!!
time for lots of light after work so I can go for long walks and
listen to the birds.  That puts balance in to my life of spinning jazz
records, dealing with my staff and dealing with all the labels.

Enjoy spring everyone,

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director