[JPL] Elevating the Instrumental Artist

Nancy Houle nancy at jazzsolution.com
Wed Apr 5 08:42:57 EDT 2006

Pat Metheny and Montreal is what a bee is to honey!
That must of been a completely spiritual experience for him.
Wow, what that must feel like!

I know some of you feel nostalgic about your early experiences with jazz.
I have read it express (I'll paraphrase)  "it just isn't the same  jazz
experience"
anymore.  "The Leaders aren't the same breed of quality".  "the cream of the
crop is harder to identify. " Back in the day you just "knew"  a jazz master
was
in the house!"

But, today's audiences who experience jazz today (who didn't
have the age or privilege to experience the first 20-30-40 yrs of jazz)
experience
jazz today, like they were a witness to it's birth.

Fast forward 30-60 years from now, when
we are all dead and gone, those same folks will be sharing their own  jazz
experiences and referring to some of our current musicians as "masters".

They will reminisce and have stories about the day they saw so and so and
the club.
What will they be saying then?  " today's jazz just isn't the same".
The Leaders aren't the same.  The cream of the crop is harder
to identify.  Back in the day you just "knew" their was a jazz master
in the house!

in tongue and cheek
Nancy with the laughing face!