[JPL] Jackie McLean

Bouille, John JBouille at SHAWU.EDU
Wed Apr 5 13:41:25 EDT 2006

Dear, Ed, Tad and Dick, I had the opportunity to speak with his son Rene yesterday. I called him to express my condolences and asked if he would like to share some J-Mac stories on the air. We had a blast talking about the memories he shared with his dad and his teacher. Thanks for keeping the music alive.

John Bouille
WSHA Program Director
118 East South Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
1-800-241-0421 ~ 919-546-8433

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com]On Behalf Of Dick LaPalm
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 12:32 PM
To: jazzproglist
Subject: [JPL] Jackie McLean

To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

Dear Ed and Tad,

I was deeply touched by the wonderful tribute bestowed upon my dear friend,
Jackie McLean, in the current issue of JazzWeek.  As an enormous fan, I
think
the five albums you selected to display are truly excellent.  Please
allow me to
mention two more absolute classics.  First, "New Soil" from 1959 with
Donald
Byrd, Walter Davis, Paul Chambers, etc.  Second, the endlessly inventive
"Live
at Montmartre" from 1972 with Kenny Drew, etc.  Surely, both albums are
significant enough to be labelled historic.

Grazie molto e riguardi caldi,

This week's sponsor: Jaco Pastorius  -  The Word Is Out! (Heads Up International)

Jaco Pastorius  -  The Word Is Out! (Heads Up International)

THE JACO PASTORIUS BIG BAND CONTINUES TO SPREAD THE WORD ON THE LEGACY OF A BRILLIANT BASSIST, COMPOSER AND ARRANGER

The Word Is Out! features: Jaco Pastorius, Gerald Veasley, Victor Wooten,
Richard Bona, Jimmy Haslip, Jeff Carswell, Israel ''Cachao'' Lopez, Jr.,
Mark Egan, Oteil Burbridge, Will Lee, Randy Brecker, Arturo Sandoval,
Hiram Bullock, Mike Stern, Ed Calle, Bob Mintzer, Peter Erskine,
Robert Thomas, Jr., Othello Molineaux and Toots Thielmans

''Most musicians that I know absolutely appreciate the contribution Jaco Pastorius made to music. I feel like every year, his memory gets stronger. It's up to us to make sure folks don't forget.''

Marcus Miller

Following the success of Word of Mouth Revisited, the critically acclaimed and award winning 2003 release on Heads Up International, the Jaco Pastorius Big Band has crafted a second chapter in their ongoing tribute to the brilliant legacy of the bassist/composer/arranger from whom they've taken their name. The Word Is Out!

On this second outing, the Jaco Pastorius Big Band again addresses Jaco's compositional genius, this time with newly expanded arrangements of pieces that harken back to 1976, that pivotal year in Jaco's career when he appeared on three near-simultaneous releases - Weather Report's Black Market, Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life and his own self-titled debut - that stand today as major landmarks in his fabled career.

Set for international release on Heads Up on March 28, 2006 Radio Promotion: Neal Sapper nsapper at headsup.com and Mike Hurzon (co-producer of the project) trackst at bellsouth.net