[JPL] Stanley Crouch on Jackie McLean

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 18:44:49 EDT 2006

Interesting.....I've never heard anyone play that much saxophone.....that out of tune. Others did as well, like Eric Dolphy but Jackie was at the top in that league - playing alto. Someone made an interesting observation to me about this years ago.....suggesting that Jackie never either embraced the A440 system of tuning which was basically structured around the piano or just couldn't hear it. He was perhaps in tune with himself but that wouldn't help you if everyone else is playing to A440.

  Jae Sinnett

Larry Appelbaum <jumpmonk at hotmail.com> wrote:
To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

>Peter Solomon wrote:
>I would suggest A.B. Spellman's book "Four Lives in the Bebop Business"
>(also includes portraits of Herbie Nichols, Cecil Taylor, and Ornette
>Coleman) for anyone looking to learn more about Jackie McLean.

The book is back in print with a different title:
http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=9702

>One thing about McLean that sometimes
>gives me pause is his consistent out-of-tune-ness. I know he cultivated it
>and controlled it, but it can >be a little off-putting. Any thoughts?

As far as intonation goes, Jackie sometimes played sharp. It's part of what
makes his sound so distinctive and recognizable.

Larry Appelbaum
WPFW-FM

This week's sponsor: Jaco Pastorius - The Word Is Out! (Heads Up International)

Jaco Pastorius - The Word Is Out! (Heads Up International)

THE JACO PASTORIUS BIG BAND CONTINUES TO SPREAD THE WORD ON THE LEGACY OF A BRILLIANT BASSIST, COMPOSER AND ARRANGER

The Word Is Out! features: Jaco Pastorius, Gerald Veasley, Victor Wooten,
Richard Bona, Jimmy Haslip, Jeff Carswell, Israel ''Cachao'' Lopez, Jr.,
Mark Egan, Oteil Burbridge, Will Lee, Randy Brecker, Arturo Sandoval,
Hiram Bullock, Mike Stern, Ed Calle, Bob Mintzer, Peter Erskine,
Robert Thomas, Jr., Othello Molineaux and Toots Thielmans

''Most musicians that I know absolutely appreciate the contribution Jaco Pastorius made to music. I feel like every year, his memory gets stronger. It's up to us to make sure folks don't forget.''

Marcus Miller

Following the success of Word of Mouth Revisited, the critically acclaimed and award winning 2003 release on Heads Up International, the Jaco Pastorius Big Band has crafted a second chapter in their ongoing tribute to the brilliant legacy of the bassist/composer/arranger from whom they've taken their name. The Word Is Out!

On this second outing, the Jaco Pastorius Big Band again addresses Jaco's compositional genius, this time with newly expanded arrangements of pieces that harken back to 1976, that pivotal year in Jaco's career when he appeared on three near-simultaneous releases - Weather Report's Black Market, Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life and his own self-titled debut - that stand today as major landmarks in his fabled career.

Set for international release on Heads Up on March 28, 2006 Radio Promotion: Neal Sapper nsapper at headsup.com and Mike Hurzon (co-producer of the project) trackst at bellsouth.net