[JPL] Jackie McLean

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Wed Apr 5 19:23:40 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 5, 2006, Dick LaPalm <dlpjazz at thegrid.net> said:

> Dear Ed and Tad,
>
> I was deeply touched by the wonderful tribute bestowed upon my dear friend,
> Jackie McLean, in the current issue of JazzWeek.  As an enormous fan, I
> think
> the five albums you selected to display are truly excellent.  Please
> allow me to
> mention two more absolute classics.  First, "New Soil" from 1959 with
> Donald
> Byrd, Walter Davis, Paul Chambers, etc.  Second, the endlessly inventive
> "Live
> at Montmartre" from 1972 with Kenny Drew, etc.  Surely, both albums are
> significant enough to be labelled historic.
>
> Grazie molto e riguardi caldi,

Dick, et.al.

Don't forget Jackie's work with Mingus on the Atlantic label releases
Pithecanthropus Erectus and Blues & Roots; on the Miles Davis/Sonny
Rollins
sessions of 10/5/1951 (reissued on Complete Sonny Rollins on Prestige)
and 0n the wonderful Abbey Lincoln CD, The World Is Falling Down.

Intonation issues are better on the 1999 Nature Boy by Jackie McLean on
Blue Note Records, but I find his sharp tone a deliberate & effective
expressive
style.

Work for peace,

George

Jazz In The Evening With George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio
365 Troy Avenue
Colchester, VT 05446
jazz at vpr.net
www.vpr.net/jazz (streaming & playlists)
Tu-Th 8-10pm; Fr 8pm-mid

--
This message has been scanned by MailScanner