[JPL] Elevating the Instrumental Artist

Kenneth Irwin ken-irwin at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 13:27:43 EDT 2006

I remember that concert, I don't remember what year it was, early 80's
maybe, but it was a great nite.  MJQ were sublime, and although Ella had to
lean on the piano, she had been having such a difficult time with her legs,
she still had that girlish elegance of voice and amazing warmth and
presence.  During a quiet moment between songs, a woman in the crowd
shouted, "We love you Ella."  She chuckled and said, "I love you too sugar."

It was a very special moment.  I can't tell you how many people attended,
though the shed was full, and the lawn was too.

Ken Irwin
Jazz Music Director and Co-Host of Java Jazz
WMUA - FM
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
105 Lincoln Campus Center
Amherst, MA 01003