[JPL] Elevating the Instrumental Artist

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 23:15:01 EDT 2006

Thanks for sharing that Ken. September of 1989.  Milt Jackson in
conversation: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/iviews/mjackson.htm

O'Brien lives in Virginia now, and yes his wife is talented,
entertaining with that Tricky Sam Nanton impression, and comfortable
winging it in front of a crowd. She does a good Helen Humes, too.
Grand Rapids ate up all her June Christy/Anita O'Day tunes. I
couldn''t believe Roswell Rudd's "God Had A Girlfriend" is actually
about them.

O'brien spent a lot of time talking about Joe Cohn and Harry Allen,
who he recorded with before coming to Grand Rapids. Later Chet Baker's
name came up. Hod said, "I recorded with him." I'd forgotten. "An
album called," and he laughed at the irony of it, "Blues on Purpose."
With Warne Marsh no less.

Hod is very authentic. His version of Freddie Redd's "Thespian" on The
Second Set recorded live at Blues Alley (Reservoire) nails it. And his
"Little Niles" is uncanny. He told me he was sitting next to Randy
Weston in the Berkshires when Weston wrote it.

Amherst.Remember Downbeat running an article about Archie Shepp called
"Radical with Tenure"? Recently read a deep article on Yusef Lateef,
former Detroiter. He's done well there. Yal is what I call "an
independant." Bet your life.