[JPL] Fwd: WBEZ-CHICAGO PLANS TO PHASE OUT MUSIC

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 7 21:43:09 EDT 2006

Sad news, but not absolutely everyone is enamored of talk talk talk
instead of music.  As one listener recently wrote to me: "I adore your
presentation and jazz selections.  Absolutely the best thing on radio
anywhere today.  I have had idiotic talk shows up  the kazoo.  Thank
God for the sanity of your weekly shows."

It's hard to believe an important jazz city like Chicago can't support
a full time jazz station.   Is someone else programming jazz in
Chicago...?  if so, it'll sure be a boon for them. Too much of (most)
anything is too much.  When radio does nothing but talk to us, more
people may wish for a return to a "golden age" when there was a great
variety of music and entertainment as well as news and talk on radio.
It seems we have more stations but fewer choices all the time.

It may be heresy to breathe it here, but doesn't this rush to talk
radio formats feed audience to internet and satellite radio as well as
iPod listening?

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org