[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 4/7/06

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Apr 8 00:28:38 EDT 2006

Friday, April 7, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

About this broadcast

THANKS MIKE! THE RECORD COLLECTION OF MIKE DiMICHELE

Mike DiMichele was a listener to my program. Before he passed away last
April 10th, at t he age of 80, he told his family that he wanted his record
collection to go to me. I received his collection late last year. On the
one-year anniversary of his death I featured some of those recordings this
evening.
Mike was a local dance band alto player but loved jazz: Bird, Mariano,
Trane, Pops, etc. His taste was varied and good. What follows is a sample of
his collection that I played on the air tonight. To read more go the WGBH
Jazz Blog:

www.wgbhblogs.org/jazz/

8:00pm
Horace Parlan: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Charlie Parker: Now's The Time, Bird (Savoy)
Boots Mussullli: Rubber Boots, Little Man (Capitol)
Charlie Mariano: The Very Thought of You, Bethleham

8:21pm
Errol Garner: All The Things You Are, Savoy Master Takes (Savoy)
Lennie Tristano: Becoming, The New Tristano (Atlantic)
Ahmad Jamal: Poinciana, At The Pershing/But Not For Me (Chess)
Bud Powell: Parisian Throughfare, The Amazing Bud Powell Volume One
(Blue Note)

8:45pm
Gerry Mulligan: Walkin' Shoes, Quartet (Pacific Jazz)
June Christy: Something Cool, Something Cool (Capitol)
Shelly Manne: You and The night and The Music, The West Coast Sound
(Contemporary)
Stan Kenton: Sophisticated Lady, Sketches on Standards (Capitol)

9:06pm
Art Blakey and Jazz Messengers: D's Dilemma, Drum Suite (Columbia)
Joe Henderson: Mode For Joe, Mode For Joe (Blue Note)
Johnny Griffin: Don't Explain, White Gardenia (Riverside)

9:33pm
Roy Eldridge: After You've Gone, Black Legends of Jazz (Decca)
Coleman Hawkins: Sheik of Araby, The First Label in Jazz (RCA Victor)
Johnny Dodds: Melancholy, Black Legends of Jazz (Decca)
Miles Davis: Bag's Groove, Miles Davis (Prestige)

9:54pm
Al Cohn; Zoot Sims: Body and Soul, Body and Soul (Muse)

10:08pm
Fats Navarro: Fat Girl; Ice Freezes Red; Eb Pob; Goin' to Mintons,
Goin' to Minton's (Savoy)

10:20pm
Count Basie; Smith / Jones Inc: Shoe Shine Boy; Evenin; I May Be Wrong; Oh,
Lady Be Good, Count Basie The Columbia Years (Columbia)

10:35pm
Stan Getz: The Song is You, Stan Getz (Roost)
John Coltrane: Giant Steps, Giant Steps (Atlantic)
Lee Konitz: Foolin' Myself, Lee Konitz in Harvard Square (Storyville)

10:58pm
Ella Fitzgerald: Sweet and Slow; Body and Soul, Ella Swings Gently with
Nelson (Verve)
Anita O'Day: Angel eyes; Early Autumn, Jazz 'Round Midnight (Verve)
Cannonball Adderley: What's New, Sharpshooters (Mercury)

11:21pm
Louis Armstrong: Mahogany Hall Stomp; Black and Blue ,
Satchmo at Symphnoy Hall (Decca)
Duke Ellington: Black and Tan Fantasy; The Mooche; Mood Indigo,
Duke Ellington (Columbia)

11:39pm
Clifford Brown: Brownie Speaks, New Trumpet Star (Blue Note)
Dizzy Gillespie: Diggin' for Diz, The Modern Trumpets (Dial)
Art Farmer: Reminiscing, Framer's Market (Prestige)

11:50pm
Charlie Parker: My LittleSuede Shoes; Why Do I Love You; Fiesta,
South of The Border (Verve)

END