[JPL] MUSIC 1936 vs 2006

MFT Jazz mft at mftjazz.com
Sat Apr 8 21:24:16 EDT 2006

MUSIC 1936 vs 2006

You be the judge as to how far we've progressed in 70 years:

 The Oscar winning song from 1936

"The Way You Look Tonight"

from Swing Time (1936)

Music by Jerome Kern; lyrics by Dorothy Fields

Someday when I'm awfully low

When the world is cold

I will feel a glow

Just thinking of you

And the way you look tonight

Oh, but you're lovely

With your smile so warm

And your cheek so soft

There is nothing for me

But to love you

Just the way you look tonight

With each word

Your tenderness grows

Tearing my fear apart

And that laugh

That wrinkles your nose

Touches my foolish heart

Lovely, never never change

Keep that breathless charm

Won't you please arrange it

'Cause I love you

Just the way you look tonight

 The Oscar winning song of

2006

"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"

from Hustle and Flow  (2006)

Music (?) and Lyrics by Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard

You know it's hard out here for a pimp (you ain't knowin)

When he tryin to get this money for the rent (you ain't knowin)

For the Cadillacs and gas money spent (you ain't knowin)

Will have a whole lot of *itches talkin *hit (you ain't knowin)

(Academy Award show version) Will have a whole lot of witches jumpin ship!

In my eyes I done seen some crazy thangs in the streets

Gotta couple hos workin on the changes for me

But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night

Like takin from a ho don't know no better, I know that ain't right

Done seen people killed, done seen people deal

Done seen people live in poverty with no meals

It's *ucked up where I live, but that's just how it is

It might be new to you, but it's been like this for years

It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to this *hit

I'm tryin to get rich 'fore I leave up out this *itch

I'm tryin to have thangs but it's hard fo' a pimp

But I'm prayin and I'm hopin to God I don't slip, yeah

[Chorus]

Man it seems like I'm duckin dodgin bullets everyday

*iggaz hatin on me cause I got, hos on the tray

But I gotta stay paid, gotta stay above water

Couldn't keep up with my hoes, that's when *hit got harder

North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound

Where *iggaz all the time end up lost and never found

Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head

They come hopin every night, they don't end up bein dead

Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too

You pay the right price and they'll both do you

That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin

Gotta have my hustle tight, makin change off these women, yeah
--

*Russ Neff
/My Favorite Things/