[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show April 3

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 02:06:39 EDT 2006

Still Another Jazz Show        April 3 2006

Colin Stranahan   “Song For Briana #3”  “Casa
Zimbabwe”      TRANSFORMATION      Capri Records

Sonny Rollins    “St. Thomas”   “Blue 7”      RVG
Prestige Records

Eric Dolphy     “Out There”  “Serene”   OUT THERE
RVG  Prestige Records

Joey DeFrancesco     “ I Thought About You”    ORGANIC
VIBES    Concord Jazz

3osity      “This Could Be The Start Of Something Big”
   3OSITY   Capri Records

Rabih Abou-Khalil    “I'm Better Off Without You”
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF AN EGG        Enja /Justin
Time Records

Zaxariades        “I'll Follow The Sun”    MR Z
Freeham Records

Erin McDougald    “Sweet Child Of Mine”   “I'm The
Girl”      MEETING PLACE

Bill Henderson   “I Thought About You”   “Daydream”
“A Flower Is A Love Some Thing”  “That Ole Black
Magic”   LIVE AT THE KENNEDY CENTER    PLAY BILL
WebOnlyJazz.com

We begin SAJS with a new young quintet headed by
drummer COLIN STRANAHAN called TRANSFORMATION.   Music
is very reflective of  acoustic Wayne Shorter post
modern.   Lots of nice open space so all can
participate, nice melodic reed runs, with interposed
trumpet runs nothing over emphatic.   It's like they
all got together in a Dharma and played it all the way
in total One with the Universe .
That's the way it is with good jazz.
The listener walks away with total mind /body, comfort
-ness  with the kind of energy that Tony Williams
brought  to the fore with his debut with Miles Davis.
 What you hear is bright articulation from these young
modernists, saxophonists, Michael Bailey and Remy Le
Boeuf, Pascal LeBoeuf on piano, Dominic Thiroux on
bass with guest appearances by Jim Stranahan on alto
saxophone , Greg Gilbert on trumpet  and Mark Clifford
on vibes.   These young gentlemen perform with
admiration and write all original material on this new
CD.  Colin Stranahan is from the Denver area.
If my hazy memory serves me, he is also at the Brubeck
Institute on the University Of Pacific campus  in
Stockton.
Recently  Joe Gilman put together the symphony
orchestra and  band of jazz musicians and recreated
the the Charley Parker with strings and Colin
Stranahan provided  a Monk inspired  original at the
concert.
If only the fly on the wall would've had recording
gear, we could've all enjoyed this magnificent
reincarnation.
We followed up with the classic, recently released
SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS with the great  SONNY ROLLINS,
fresh from those legendary woodshed days where he'd
battle it out with John Coltrane for tenor supremacy.
 When this originally released I was a sophomore in
high school  in Detroit.
Seven years later when did my jazz show at WQRS I
remember picking this album out of the library  for
air play. That was 1963 and it was well worn through
numerous airings. Those great old albums even had a
musty smell to them. The music was always good, as the
old phrase 'when in doubt play Coltrane.'  It also
applied to Sonny Rollins with that deep vibrant  tenor
with almost baritone timber sound, as he would hard
bop it with the best as evidenced on “Strode Rode.”
We played “St. Thomas,”(original version) and
concluded this set with “Blue 7,” one of my favorites.

There's such a Detroit influence with this music with
Tommy Flanigan on piano and Doug Watkins(Paul Chambers
cousin) on bass and the great Max Roach on drums. This
is a part of a new release ten CD package, RVG
Remasters,  reliving the great history of the hard bop
era courtesy of Concord Music Group.
So we'll spend  more time with this marvelous in the
next segment with ERIC DOLPHY, multi dexterous
reedist and the 1961 release OUT THERE.   What you
hear the adroit muscular almost ambidextrous
multi-polemic  wall of sound generated by this sift
spoken young man.  His aegis was so quick that years
later we continue to discover his impact on our post
modern world. Listen to Chris Potter and Don Byron on
bass clarinet and then Eric Dolphy for he was the ONLY
 jazz musician to perform on that horn at that time.
We played “Out There” and  Dolphy on bass clarinet on
“Serene,”  as Ron Carter plays cello on this with
George Duvivier on bass and the great Roy Haynes on
drums.
Remember this was ground breaking music.
No doubt the reason for a Prestige /New Jazz
designation.
Again, these are part of the series of RVG RE MASTERS
engineered some 40 plus years ago and remastered  with
expertise  and care in 2005 by Rudy Van Gelder.
JOEY DEFRANCESCO's  explosive  new CD,  ORGANIC VIBES
is up next. We played the great JimmyVan Heusen
ballad, “I Thought About You, ” with Bobby Hutcherson
on Vibes.  This version reminds me of a similar
juxtaposition,  Jimmy Smith with Lee Morgan on  “Blue
Flamingo” from Blue Note's THE SERMON.
Then winding to the break we played 3OSITY from their
new CD of the same name. A very inventive Denver based
Hammond B-3 trio  with  a very interesting version of
the standard ,“This Could Be The Start Of Something
Big.”
RABIH ABOU—KHALIL  begins the second hour   with his
new release,  JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF AN EGG.  Khalil
is an Oud player and he's accompanied by pianist  and
alto saxophone player Joachim Kuhn. Yes, friends
that's  quite a distinction .    I don't know if you
know what an Oud  is ...looks like a pregnant guitar,
...  but lets say  you showed  up one  night  at a
Greek restaurant to play your acoustic and sing some
of your original folk songs. You fashion yourself as
sort of  a Nick Drake. (I'm becoming very ticked off
at these pundits who use  phrases , like...sort
of...fact of the matter is...and so on .)
Back to the Greek restaurant. You do your set  in
front of a cheeky crowd and they're eating and talking
and not really listening. It's your cumbersome guitar
picking, they're not really Greek, your songs stink
and they're not appreciating your originality.
Part of your deal  is a free dinner, so you stay for
the belly dancer and she's a  young lovely voluptuous
Italian graduate student studying for her PHD in
Relative Psychology. Well...she 's bumping and
grinding (This ain't no strip club, this is culture.)
 She's accompanied by an Oud player, or an Oudist.
So after the show you hang with the belly dancer and
the Oud player. They invite you  to an oudist camp and
 you politely decline.  After many ouzos, saludes and
salutations, you fall asleep.
About 4 am , you awake. You  notice your guitar is
missing, but there's this rather extravagant looking
guitar-like instrument with a bulge  in the belly.
Hazily,  you attempt to squeeze this instrument into
your  guitar case. And stupidly it doesn't fit,
because of that darn bulge in the belly. Fortunately,
there's a card attached to the Oud.  You grab your
guitar case and the pregnant guitar- looking
instrument. You walk toward the door with a beer
headache and yell over to a dark haired man who
cordially opens the door  releasing you to the  late
night/early morning where daylight savings time
newspaper delivery husbandry , as spirits of  old milk
men  imbue the hazy morning
Of course, you could be  driving down Ventura Blvd
toward Hollywood and the kick here would be to stop by
the newspaper stand and pick up  copies of the Los
Angeles and New York Times  to blissfully spend your
morning with a double Italian espresso  and
croissants, but you're on a top secret journey... The
oudist camp is only a mirage?!
Back to  RABIH ABOU- KHALIL and  Joachim Kuhn on
Justin Time Records.  This music is reminiscent of
Herbie Mann's forays  into  the  middle east
enchantment. So we've been enchanted and Khalil
delivers this  nu world music improvisational
excursion.  We played the enchanting   11 minute
selection,” I'm Better Off Without  You.”   The OUD
with it's amazing capacity is able to deliver both
lead and rhythm lines.. A great adaptable  jazz
instrument.
I'm reminded of Joseph Tilton Pearce and  his journey
to  THE CRACK IN THE COSMIC EGG.
ZAXERAIDES plays  guitar and sings a wonderful version
of  Lennon McCartney's, “I'll Follow The Sun.”

Mr Z sings with eloquence and disregard which is what
good  jazz vocalists do  when they are in touch with
their  art.
ERIN MC DOUGALD and The Dan Cray Trio  are next...We
played  Axel Rose, “Sweet Child Of Mine” and Ms
Mcdougaldand Mr. Cray with the trio,  gets it on with
elegance, funk and  the most free form jam of this
stellar Chicago group. Then a  remarkable  version of
“I'm The Girl.”  This is definitively is  one of  the
most remarkably young groups in jazz today.
BILL HENDERSON begins and concludes the last segment
from his new CD , LIVE AT THE KENNEDY CENTER.  Bill
Henderson is one of the mos important jazz vocalist
heroes of a big band era that produced Joe Williams,
Sarah Vaughn, Jimmy Rushing, Carmen McRae and Dakota
Staton.     All very distinctive voices of a wondrous
era.    We played  “I Thought About You,” “Daydream,”
“A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing” and concluding  with
Harold Arlen/ Johnny Mercer's  “That Old Black Magic.”
And Bill Henderson  about 'nails' this tune with the
encumbrance of the  ED VODICKA and his trio. As this
whole trio and this new CD.
Log onto WebOnlyJazz.com and sample this  one of a
kind CD.
Any questions?

Bopndick at yahoo.com

Dick Crockett